Cannot reinstall WHS RRS feed

• Question

• Have had a WHS for a while, and the system started to act funky.  Slow response, a few file conflicts, items like that.  Rebooted the system, and it locked up on me at the local system login screen.  Mouse and keyboard locked, not responding to pings or Remote sessions.  So essentially the system was a brick.  Got a WHS disk, and ran the reinstall on the system.  Got all the way through the reinstall and during the Installing Windows Home Server portion of the process, and I received a 0x8007048f error.  Have tried putting back in the Chipset drivers, and it has not helped.  When I looked at the Console on the failed install, I can see just about all of the items that I had.  One of the external USB drives is listed as missing from the pool, but it is listed on the screen as a new drive.  Not a huge deal.  Everything was duplicated.  The drive in question is a 300 gig drive, and the system still has 2 1 TB drives and an additional USB 300.

At this point I would like to either get my data off of this machine, or get the OS installed so I can get everything off of it and try a fresh build. 

Any suggestions?

• Changed type SuperChicoMJ Tuesday, August 11, 2009 8:59 AM
    Tuesday, August 11, 2009 8:56 AM

Answers

• Hi,
    please check the FAQ How to recover data after server failure.
    Maybe the USB drive was the culprit - those have from time to time seen with issues, if integrated in the storage pool.
    This can depend from the enclosure, the quelity of cabling and USB interface. So using such drives for backup is fine, while using them for the pool can be risky.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    • Marked as answer by SuperChicoMJ Tuesday, August 11, 2009 7:42 PM
    Tuesday, August 11, 2009 10:21 AM

All replies

• Hi,
    please check the FAQ How to recover data after server failure.
    Maybe the USB drive was the culprit - those have from time to time seen with issues, if integrated in the storage pool.
    This can depend from the enclosure, the quelity of cabling and USB interface. So using such drives for backup is fine, while using them for the pool can be risky.
    Olaf
    • Marked as answer by SuperChicoMJ Tuesday, August 11, 2009 7:42 PM
    Tuesday, August 11, 2009 10:21 AM
  • Under Home Network Health, it is telling me The Drive Extender Migration Service is not running.  This is after the WHS install has failed, and I can exit out to the server software.  But it is not completly rebuilt yet.  Any ideas on how to fix this?  Or just follow the data recovery steps?

Thanks so much for your help!!!!

Tuesday, August 11, 2009 10:34 AM
  • You could check, if a reboot let's the installation resume. You might be able to attempt another server reinstall and hope, that this runs through. (Leave the DVD in the drive all the time.)

If you have a separate disk (which is not already part of your WHS installation), I would recommend to perform a clean install on this, patch up and then start attaching the drives and moving the data from the drives to the shares as described in the FAQ.

Olaf

Tuesday, August 11, 2009 10:40 AM
  • Thank you for all your help Olaf.  On a side note, are eSATA drives as scarry as USB?  Or are they as reliable as internal sata drives?

Thanks again!!!!!

M.J.
    Tuesday, August 11, 2009 7:42 PM
  • ESATA drives should be more reliable than USB, but less reliable than internal drives, since the external cable connection is still a weak point.
    Olaf
    Wednesday, August 12, 2009 6:06 AM