none
Step by Step instructions on how to install WHS on PowerVault 715 RRS feed

• General discussion

• Well it took me a couple of months off an on, but I now have a repeatable step by step process for installing WHS on your old Dell PowerVault 715

1. Read the whole tutorial before you begin.

2. You must install Windows AIK so you can use the oscdimg.exe utility.
    	-This allows you to create a bootable iso image that you will burn to a dvd.

3. Add a PCI video card to the one pci slot.
    	I had to remove the metal flange to get it installed.
    	If you have to take the PCI riser board out of the pci slot,
    	install the board then put the riser board back in.

4. Connect a monitor to the card.

5. Turn the PowerVault on and see if you see anything.
    	If not get this working or you are dead in the water.

6. Remove all the disk drive from the PowerVault.

7. Attach one of the disks to your workstation pc with usb connector/adapter
    	Or connect it right off of the motherboard.

8. Go to Computer Managment by right clicking on My Computer"

9. Click on Disk Management.

10. Delete all volumes on the disk by right clicking on the drive and clicking on Delete Volume.

11. Add a Simple Volume by right clicking on the drive and clicking on New Simple Volume.
    	DO NOT format the drive, WHS will do this.

12. Create a slip streamed "bootable" iso image of your WHS dvd with qs.ini file in root.
    	-copy the WHS dvd contents to a folder. My folder was e:\temp\whs
    	-add text file called qs.ini to root folder. e:\temp\whs\qs.ini.
    	-Add these three lines, but change the ServerName to what ever you want.

[Q Setup]
    	ProductKey=00000-00000-00000-00000-00000
    	ServerName=WHS2

-run the following command to create iso image. Don't forget to include the quotes.
    	-"C:\Program Files\Windows AIK\Tools\x86\oscdimg" -n -m -be:\temp\whs\boot\etfsboot.com e:\temp\whs e:\temp\whsboot.iso
    	-this will built an ISO image and place it in the e:\temp folder.

13. Burn whsboot.iso image to new dvd disk.

14. Insert the tray (without the drive) into slot 0 (the left hand slot if you are looking at the front of the PowerVault).

15. Attach a LONG IDE cable with 2 drive connectors into slot 0's IDE interface slot.

16. Attach the disk drive that you created the SimpleVolume on to the cable as a Slave using the jumper.
    	(Slave, not Cable Select).
    	You will need some pc power cable extendors to power the dvd and disk drive because the ones on the 
    	PowerVault are too short.

17. Attach your DVD drive to cable as Master using the jumper.
    	(Master, not Cable Select) this will enable the DVD to be the boot device.
    	You may have to open and close the dvd drawer while the PowerVault says "booting from CDROM" to get it to boot.

18. Turn the PowerVault on and quickly insert your newly created DVD with the qs.ini file in the root into the DVD drive.

19. The PowerVault will boot off of the DVD and you should see the message "windows is loading files..."
    	This process takes over an hour (formatting system drive takes the most time).

Once the WHS reboots you need to immediately turn the power off and do the following:

20. Make disk0 Master with jumper, keep same cable location

21. Make DVD Slave with jummper, keep same cable location

22. Make sure you leave the install WHS DVD in the drive because it still needs it to finish the install once it boots from the hard drive.

23. Turn PowerVault machine back on and let it continue the installation process.

24. Once it has finished installing, go to your workstation pc and use the "whs connector software disk" and install the whs client.

Once connected you will be able to set the Administrator password. 

Once you have set the Administrator password, you can remote into the box and go to computer management and install the rest of the drives.

If you have questions, please use the step numbers as a reference in your question.

I hope this helps.

• Changed type Ken WarrenModerator Tuesday, September 14, 2010 7:52 PM "How to" post, not a question
    Tuesday, September 14, 2010 6:57 PM