This copy of windows must be activated with MSoft RRS feed

• Question

• Sorry if in the wrong section,

Hi my niece brought round her netbook (Asus Eee PC 1001HA (Seashell)
    She kept getting the BSOD and then nothing,I have reinstalled XP the installation went through as normal told the installation the user's name and all installed fine, when the installation finished instead of the user name poping up after the welcome screen it has Owner and when i click it i am told in a box (Windows Product Actvation) This copy of windows must be activated with MS before you can log on, i click yes (Lets activate windows) box pops up i click yes activate it went throgh the Activate windows and told me thankyou for activating..blah blah and click finish but then im back to (Windows Product Actvation) This copy of windows must be activated with MS before you can log on and go through it again but this time im told that "Unable to activate online, the activation period has expired, You must activate your computer now to continue useing windows. Never had this before can anyone shed some light on it? What was a straight forward reinstallation has turned into a bigger problem.
    PS if i go into safe mode and right click my computer/properties the correct user name is there allso when the xp splash screen comes up no user name just Administrator and Owner.
    XP SP2
    Intel Atom N270 1.60gh
    0.99GB Ram
    Thanks.

Sunday, December 5, 2010 6:15 PM

Answers

• "Sparkly57" wrote in message news:04d817a7-7185-43c7-89cd-4cfb1ba61bb8...

Hi Noel thanks for your reply

"How did you do the reinstall?" External CD drive from an original MS Disc,and useing COA on the netbook.

just installed SP3 and then IE8 and the activation went through and now have windows activated....BUT still the user account is in Owner thinking i might just change the name and she will have to put up with it i.e some folders under the name owner. But would like to change all folders that say Owner to Kelly if you have any suggestions.
    Thanks again.

Best way to do that is to create a new User Account (as an administrator), transfer any data to the new user,  and then delete the old one.
    The reason your your earlier problems could simply be that the original install was done with one of the new batch of keys made available by SP3 (something I hadn't thought of in this context, so thanks for the cluestick for future reference!)
    Good Luck!

--

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    • Marked as answer by Sparkly57 Monday, December 6, 2010 9:32 AM
    Monday, December 6, 2010 9:10 AM

All replies

• "Sparkly57" wrote in message news:8a04555b-5644-4e5b-998b-682aa962aabe...

Sorry if in the wrong section,

Hi my niece brought round her netbook (Asus Eee PC 1001HA (Seashell)
    She kept getting the BSOD and then nothing,I have reinstalled XP the installation went through as normal told the installation the user's name and all installed fine, when the installation finished instead of the user name poping up after the welcome screen it has Owner and when i click it i am told in a box (Windows Product Actvation) This copy of windows must be activated with MS before you can log on, i click yes (Lets activate windows) box pops up i click yes activate it went throgh the Activate windows and told me thankyou for activating..blah blah and click finish but then im back to (Windows Product Actvation) This copy of windows must be activated with MS before you can log on and go through it again but this time im told that "Unable to activate online, the activation period has expired, You must activate your computer now to continue useing windows. Never had this before can anyone shed some light on it? What was a straight forward reinstallation has turned into a bigger problem.
    PS if i go into safe mode and right click my computer/properties the correct user name is there allso when the xp splash screen comes up no user name just Administrator and Owner.
    XP SP2
    Intel Atom N270 1.60gh
    0.99GB Ram
    Thanks.

How did you do the reinstall? - using the manufacturer's recovery system, or a disk?
    Can you go  into Safe Mode with Networking?
    if so, To properly analyse and solve problems with Activation and Validation, we need to see a full copy of the report produced by the MGADiag tool (download and save to desktop - http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012 )
    Once saved, run the tool.
    Click on the Continue button, which will produce the report.
    To copy the report to your response, click on the Copy button in the tool (ignore any error messages at this point), and then paste (using either r-click/Paste, or Ctrl+V ) into your response.
     It may not show much from Safe Mode, but it's better than nothing.

--

Sunday, December 5, 2010 8:18 PM
  • Hi Noel thanks for your reply

"How did you do the reinstall?" External CD drive from an original MS Disc,and useing COA on the netbook.

just installed SP3 and then IE8 and the activation went through and now have windows activated....BUT still the user account is in Owner thinking i might just change the name and she will have to put up with it i.e some folders under the name owner. But would like to change all folders that say Owner to Kelly if you have any suggestions.
    Thanks again.

Monday, December 6, 2010 7:42 AM
  • "Sparkly57" wrote in message news:04d817a7-7185-43c7-89cd-4cfb1ba61bb8...

Hi Noel thanks for your reply

Thanks again.

Best way to do that is to create a new User Account (as an administrator), transfer any data to the new user,  and then delete the old one.
    The reason your your earlier problems could simply be that the original install was done with one of the new batch of keys made available by SP3 (something I hadn't thought of in this context, so thanks for the cluestick for future reference!)
    Good Luck!

--

• Marked as answer by Sparkly57 Monday, December 6, 2010 9:32 AM
    Monday, December 6, 2010 9:10 AM
  • Thanks Noel, sorted.

C.

Monday, December 6, 2010 9:33 AM