File Errors showing up in WHS Console Notifications RRS feed

• Question

• Good afternoon,

Computer hardware company owner (background in hardware and software production (client server)).  I have WHS running on a 7TB server (seagate 1.5's), and I have a few files that have shown some crc errors.  Not a big deal per se, I know the files and they were corrupt before being imported.  The problem is this:

I know how to use something like SPINRITE and mark sectors on a HDD that may be bad so they are not used again, but I am not familiar with any tools that will allow me to take a live drive with data on it, find those corrupt file positions, mark them, and then delete the corrupt data.

mainly I wanted to remove the data, (couple 3 files totaling 15 MB max), so I am able to stop the file errors showing up in the WHS reporting.  Yes, I know I can disable the warnings, but I would prefer to remove the problem completely.

Sugestions?

Thank you in advance for any direction.

-Andrew (Javadog)
    Monday, January 25, 2010 7:36 PM

Answers

• Have you considered chkdsk /r on the drive(s) with errors? It won't delete the files, but it will at least make a good attempt at correcting errors. In the long run, of course, you should probably replace drives showing bad blocks, especially if they continue to occur.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, January 25, 2010 8:11 PM
  • For day to day server management, all you should need is the console itself. If your server is having a problem, remote desktop may be useful, but it's technically unsupported.
    Tuesday, January 26, 2010 5:12 AM

All replies

• Have you considered chkdsk /r on the drive(s) with errors? It won't delete the files, but it will at least make a good attempt at correcting errors. In the long run, of course, you should probably replace drives showing bad blocks, especially if they continue to occur.
    Monday, January 25, 2010 8:11 PM
  • sorry for the delay, busy monday.  I will run chkdsk now and have it run its course....will update...

thank you again

-Andrew

**EDIT**

stupid question:  how do i run chkdsk against the server through the console?

-thank you ahead of time for your help..

-Andrew
    Tuesday, January 26, 2010 12:00 AM
  • Sadly you can't. You'll need to get to the desktop. Either remote desktop or Advanced Admin Console addin, etc.
    Tuesday, January 26, 2010 1:17 AM
  • I wasn't sure, but I figured as much.  Not a problem, I have a KB/Mouse/Display hooked up for just such an occasion.  I will go in and do it 'manually'.

Thank you for your time and help

-Andrew

**edit**

just for curiosity sake,

I have a client who has one of the HP Mediaservers that run WHS.  Ive set it up for them, remote access and all (I built my own server), but as you may know, all those have on the back of them is a power cord and a Ethernet jack.

In a case such as that, is the advanced admin console the only way to get in? and does that truly get you 'in' (I can see MyComputer)?

thank you again,

-Andrew
    Tuesday, January 26, 2010 3:36 AM
  • For day to day server management, all you should need is the console itself. If your server is having a problem, remote desktop may be useful, but it's technically unsupported.
    Tuesday, January 26, 2010 5:12 AM