locked
Why does this error message appear: On "Update Tasks" in PWA RRS feed

  • Question

  • Hi,

     Got this error while a team member was trying to update tasks in PWA.

    System.Web.Services,Protocols.SoapException:ProjectServerError(s) LastError=GeneralUnhandledException Instructions: Pass this into PSClientError constructor to access all error information at Microsoft.Office.Project.Server.WebService.Statusing.UpdateStatus(String changexml)

    How could we rectify this.

    Thanks

    mp

    Thursday, October 14, 2010 10:46 AM

Answers

  • Hi Michael,

      Thanks, i did check by exporting it to excel and all the data seems to be perfect. Well there are 3 enterprise fields defined at task level (not mandatory) and they form to be part of the fields in enterprise global template and the same are also added in the Update task view in PWA.

      AS you said may be no values there would be giving this problem, anyways have asked customer to fill in the data and publish it once and then check.

    When i try to export to excel from MPP, and when the mapping of fields happen(wizard) and when i selected one of the above said 3 custom fields it shows this value wherever it is blank"#Error". Is this the problem, when i fill value it does not show this error.

    If problem persists will revert back

    Thanks

    mp

    Friday, October 15, 2010 7:15 AM

All replies

  • Hello MP,

    That's a tough one.  My guess is that there is some corrupt data in the project schedule or a field contains unprinted characters, and the update process is choking on it.

    I think I would open the project and export into an Excel spread sheet.  Look at as much data as possibile and see if see any weird data being imported.  If you do, clean it up.

    Cheers!

    Michael


    Michael Wharton, MBA, PMP, MCT, MCSD, MCSE+I, MCDBA
    www.WhartonComputer.com
    Thursday, October 14, 2010 1:12 PM
  • Not sure what version of Project Server you are running, but would highly encourage to test this will the latest software update.
    Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Project Server TechCenter | Project Developer Center | Project Server Help | Project Product Page
    Thursday, October 14, 2010 2:37 PM
  • Hi Michael,

      Thanks, i did check by exporting it to excel and all the data seems to be perfect. Well there are 3 enterprise fields defined at task level (not mandatory) and they form to be part of the fields in enterprise global template and the same are also added in the Update task view in PWA.

      AS you said may be no values there would be giving this problem, anyways have asked customer to fill in the data and publish it once and then check.

    When i try to export to excel from MPP, and when the mapping of fields happen(wizard) and when i selected one of the above said 3 custom fields it shows this value wherever it is blank"#Error". Is this the problem, when i fill value it does not show this error.

    If problem persists will revert back

    Thanks

    mp

    Friday, October 15, 2010 7:15 AM
  • Bingo!  I think that's probably it.  I would delete the data in that field for that record and retype the values to and see if the problem goes away.

    Thanks for the update!

    Michael


    Michael Wharton, MBA, PMP, MCT, MCSD, MCSE+I, MCDBA
    www.WhartonComputer.com
    Friday, October 15, 2010 8:37 PM