Displaying data on a crm report exactly the way the user entered it in a multiline textbox. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have a crm report that prints comments entered by a user in a custom multiline text field on the quote form. However the area available to print this comment on the report is limited to 3 lines and 35 characters per line(real estate problem).How do i make the user to enter just enough data in the text box so that it exactly fits in the area available on the report. Not a single character more, not a single characteless. The text printed on the report should look exactly the way it appeared to the user when entered in the textbox.

Thanks
    Tuesday, October 13, 2009 12:03 AM

Answers

• Hi Rinish,

A couple suggestions.
    a.  Can you use a font in the report so all letters take up same space?
    b.  I've had a similar situation and ended up turning a single multiline text box into 3 separate single line boxes. 

Alex Fagundes - www.PowerObjects.com
    Tuesday, October 13, 2009 12:46 AM

All replies

• Hi Rinish,

The easiest way is to restrict the lenght of this field in crm.  If the field type is ntext or nvarchar then you can specify the maximum number of characters.  Go Settings, Customizations, Find quote, then go to attributes.  Find this attribute and specify the maximum lenght.  Be sure to save and publish and done.

Tuesday, October 13, 2009 12:36 AM
  • Thanks for the reply Alex. But that doesnt solve the problem. Though we can limit the total number of characters inside the textbox, we cant limit the number of characters per line in the textbox. Also based on whether the user is entering text in upper case or lower case, the number of characters fitting per line will vary. Thats where my problem lies..... showing it on the report exactly how its visible to the user in the textbox.
    Tuesday, October 13, 2009 12:42 AM
  • Hi Rinish,

A couple suggestions.
    a.  Can you use a font in the report so all letters take up same space?
    b.  I've had a similar situation and ended up turning a single multiline text box into 3 separate single line boxes. 

Tuesday, October 13, 2009 12:46 AM