none
I find it odd that when downloading gallary content while signed in yields no changes to my profile RRS feed

• Question

• Has anyone else had this problem?  When I download a gallary sample, nothing is placed in my profile to show that, though in the gallary table, there is a download and a contribution collumn.  Shouldn't the download column show downloads?  The number, at least?  And anotther thing while on the topic of Gallaries, I cannot find either where to rate the contentribution nor where to start a discussion on it.  Am I missing something important here?  Thanks. 
    Monday, January 9, 2012 4:44 PM

Answers

• The download count on a profile is the number of downloads related to items you've contributed to the gallery, not the number of downloads you've completed. We have been having some discussions recently about adding tracking of things you download (to make it easier to get back to those downloads in the future), so I would be interested in your feedback.

As to rating and discussions. If I'm signed in and visit a download in the gallery (e.g. http://code.msdn.microsoft.com/Visual-Studio-2010-Samples-31b491f3) then I can rate by clicking on the appropriate star. I can start a discussion by clicking on the Q and A tab and clicking Ask a Question.

Hope that helps!

Monday, January 9, 2012 6:36 PM
  • I followed up with the galleries team. It looks like just like downloads, older contributions weren't replayed into the recognition system. We are having follow up discussions about how we might be able to send old data in.
    Friday, January 13, 2012 5:09 AM

All replies

• The download count on a profile is the number of downloads related to items you've contributed to the gallery, not the number of downloads you've completed. We have been having some discussions recently about adding tracking of things you download (to make it easier to get back to those downloads in the future), so I would be interested in your feedback.

As to rating and discussions. If I'm signed in and visit a download in the gallery (e.g. http://code.msdn.microsoft.com/Visual-Studio-2010-Samples-31b491f3) then I can rate by clicking on the appropriate star. I can start a discussion by clicking on the Q and A tab and clicking Ask a Question.

Hope that helps!

Monday, January 9, 2012 6:36 PM
  • From each profile there needs to be links to person contributions. In addition, it will be nice to have some Favorites section easily accessed directly as currently 'My Threads'. In this 'My Favorites' we can put links to interesting threads, good downloads, WiKi articles, blogs. So, it will be an easy access to the content a person found important. I prefer to have this ability within the forum itself with a very easy access to it.
    For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert. - Becker's Law

My blog
    Monday, January 9, 2012 6:54 PM
  • I agree with that as well.  I definitely agree with you, Sean about tracking people's downloads, for not only will it allow them to go back to them, but it will allow others viewing the profiles to see the interests codewise of the people who's information they are viewing and allow them to learn more about them.  I also agree that favorites should be shown too. 
    Monday, January 9, 2012 9:35 PM
  • The download count on a profile is the number of downloads related to items you've contributed to the gallery, not the number of downloads you've completed.

Sean,

i guess these numbers needs a recalculating. On my profile you see 0 Contributions instead on 1 ( this one is missing) with 533 downloads which should be 2052.

@ cron22: Sorry for hijacking your thread, but it also belongs to the gallery contributions

Hannes

If you have got questions about this, just ask.

In a perfect world,
    users would never enter data in the wrong form,
    files they choose to open would always exist
    and code would never have bugs.

C# to VB.NET: http://www.developerfusion.com/tools/convert/csharp-to-vb/
    Tuesday, January 10, 2012 7:38 AM
  • There is one caveat to download counting and that is we only count downloads in the gallery that were submitted after January 2011. We didn't replay visual studio gallery download counts into the system. As to the 0 or 1 contributions, I think I see the issue and am fixing now.
    Tuesday, January 10, 2012 7:11 PM
  • Sean, thanks for your answer.

There is one caveat to download counting and that is we only count downloads in the gallery that were submitted after January 2011. We didn't replay visual studio gallery download counts into the system.
    Then you should please add this to the FAQ.

As to the 0 or 1 contributions, I think I see the issue and am fixing now.

Thanks for this.

Hannes

If you have got questions about this, just ask.

In a perfect world,
    users would never enter data in the wrong form,
    files they choose to open would always exist
    and code would never have bugs.

C# to VB.NET: http://www.developerfusion.com/tools/convert/csharp-to-vb/
    Wednesday, January 11, 2012 8:30 AM
  • I followed up with the galleries team. It looks like just like downloads, older contributions weren't replayed into the recognition system. We are having follow up discussions about how we might be able to send old data in.
    Friday, January 13, 2012 5:09 AM
  • That's good because now people can get all of the credit they deserve. 
    Thursday, January 26, 2012 8:37 PM