Last attached drive isn't filled by balancing... RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there,

I encountered a behaviour that I find rather strange. WHS is setup now for roughly two weeks and I am filling it up gradually with my TV and DVD archives.
    Two days ago I got the Health warning because my system drive ( landing zone on D: ) only had 5% space left. That got me curious because I just added an 400 gig drive. So I checked the real drive utilization with the management console and found out that the system drive was completely full but the newly added 400gig was still empty. The 400gig was shown as part of the pool and as healthy but no files are copied to it at all.
    To check if it was a problem with the 400gig I added an external drive to the pool yesterday to check if that gets any files copied to. Strangely enough immediately the 400gig gets filled!? I am checking drive space right now and the system drive got emptied, the 400 gig gets filled but the new external drive doesn't get any files at all...

First of all I would have expected the 400gig to be used for balancing from the beginning instead of WHS cluttering up my system drive.
    Secondly I would expect the 400gig and the external 500gig to be filled up equally.

At the moment I have neither folder duplication or Backups activated.

Any idea what is happening?
    What is WHS's balancing strategy if several empty drives are available? Fill one up and then the other?

Drive setup is as follows:
    1. drive: 250 gig ( 20gig system, rest D: )
    2. drive: 250 gig
    3. drive: 500 gig
    4. drive: 400gig mentioned above
    5. drive: 500gig external mentioned above

Tuesday, September 18, 2007 9:48 PM

Answers

• Hi,

If you give it more time when the server idle, it wil lstart to balance the DE pool.

Maybe restarting the server after you add the external (500gb HDD) and see after while how thing goes, it take a long time for the WHS to balance the data within the pool.

As more reading in this Topic.

My best.
    Wednesday, September 19, 2007 12:17 AM

All replies

• Hi,

If you give it more time when the server idle, it wil lstart to balance the DE pool.

Maybe restarting the server after you add the external (500gb HDD) and see after while how thing goes, it take a long time for the WHS to balance the data within the pool.

As more reading in this Topic.

My best.
    Wednesday, September 19, 2007 12:17 AM

• They say patience is a virtue. Obviously moreso if you are dealing with the WHS balancing mechanisms :-)

I initially gave it 24 hours to fill the 400gig. All that time WHS reported less than 5gig left on the system drive and never started filling it.
    Now after filling the external 500gig it dutifully started filling the 400 and everything seems to be fine. Strange...

So the initial mystery remains but the balancer finally kicked in and did what it is supposed to do.
    Wednesday, September 19, 2007 4:42 PM