none
'Unanswered' totals wrong.

Question

• Recently the number of unanswered threads notified in the profile summaries has been getting further and further from the true number - or at least the number or 'Unanswered' and 'Proposed as answer' threads.

In the WGA forums this is extremely noticeable - the current number showing in My Forums is 150 - while there are actually only 11 Unanswered, and 29 Proposed threads showing in the detail view.

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/home?forum=genuinewindows7&filter=proposed&sort=lastpostdesc

It gets very annoying, when trying to maintain a tidy ship, to find the number climbing on a daily basis despite efforts to keep it to a minimal level.

The same is true of the other forums  I moderate, and the one or two others that I've checked.

Is this a known issue? (I couldn't find anything similar in the history here)

When is the next refresh due?

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
    CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    No - I do not work for Microsoft, or any of its contractors.

Sunday, December 29, 2013 6:13 PM
    Answerer

Answers

All replies

• I used to think the discrepancy was because the unanswered totals in My Forums included deleted posts (at times there were many deleted spam posts). But that doesn't account for the difference. Yes, I see it in the forums I moderate.

Richard Mueller - MVP Directory Services

Sunday, December 29, 2013 10:29 PM
  • I've checked the deleted posts in the forums where I have access (surprisingly few are SPAM!), and they couldn't possibly account for the difference - there are only  about 10 in that forum in the past month.

Is it possible that it includes a count of posts that have been moved while in an unanswered state? - this could possibly account for some ot them

Monday, December 30, 2013 12:48 AM
    Answerer
  • I hadn't considered moved threads. I move 1 or 2 per day. But it would take at least a weeks worth of moved threads to account for the difference for me.

I note that the metadata about the last post in a forum seems to be a day old. The number of unanswered posts is updated infrequently as well.

Richard Mueller - MVP Directory Services

Monday, December 30, 2013 3:27 AM
  • I submitted this as a bug request.

Thanks!

Ed Price, Power BI & SQL Server Customer Program Manager (Blog, Small Basic, Wiki Ninjas, Wiki)

Answer an interesting question? Create a wiki article about it!

Monday, December 30, 2013 10:53 AM
    Owner
  • Cheers, Ed - happy new year! :)

Monday, December 30, 2013 6:20 PM
    Answerer
  • Hi Nole,

We just received the Ed's email, regarding this issue, could you please provide us the detail repro steps(would better have the screenshot), we need these information to investigate the issue further. you may reply me to here or send these information to me from email : v-vdai@microsoft.com .

Thanks

Davy Dai

Tuesday, December 31, 2013 7:46 AM
  • I'll do a presentation and email it - it's not going to be amenable to forum posting.

Thanks for the prompt response!

Tuesday, December 31, 2013 8:23 AM
    Answerer
  • The BUG number is Bug 1451072 .

Tuesday, December 31, 2013 10:40 AM
    Answerer
  • Somebody has obviously been using the engineers favourite tool (a hammer) - it looks like the bug has been fixed (or someone has reset the counter, at least).

I started the day with 180+ Unanswered thread in the WIn7 WGA forum - and I just noticed that it's dropped to a much better 42 :)

Thanks, whoever!

(Thanks for breaking the link, Ed - I was unsure whether to do that or not, so opted for the 'no change' policy, in case you/someone needed it)

Monday, January 6, 2014 5:18 PM
    Answerer
  • ... not a 100% solution (so far) though - the XP forum still claims 20 Unanswered threads as opposed to the true 3  :)

Monday, January 6, 2014 5:22 PM
    Answerer