Mesh bandwidth usage changes after switching internet provider RRS feed

• General discussion

• I have been a long time Live Mesh user.  I have been running live mesh without any problems on DSL.

I have since had to move to a cable Internet connection. Since this move to cable, I have had nothing but problems.  Anytime Mesh tries to upload a file change my Internet connection becomes completely unresponsive. Simply opening the Google search page takes painfully long. And most times Firefox response with "Connection reset by peer".  Cable connection is a 10mbit /500kbit connection. Speed tests show I am getting about 8mbit/400kbit

To make matters worse Mesh never seems to be able to finish the upload.  The Mesh tray client shows the upload happen, but the progress bar seems to stop moving.  I have added a new folder to Mesh with 200megs worth of data in it and after a full 12 hours of transferring, the upload is still not finished.

I have never had this problem will my connection was using DSL this seems to be caused by the change of Internet providers. I doubt it is caused by the change from DSL to cable.  It has to be something my new provider is doing (only a guess).

Does anyone have any insite in to what is causing my issues?  Is my provider blocking some sort of packet which Mesh is using to manage bandwidth usage?

-Nate

Sunday, January 24, 2010 2:07 PM

All replies

• Hi, Nate.
    Personally, it sounds to me like your problem is indeed with the switch from DSL to cable and that Live Mesh is a victim rather than the cause.

Live Mesh will throttle down its own activity to minimize impact on your bandwidth usage. A slow sync does not surprise me, but connection resets when browsing seem to indicate a problem with your network settings.

-steve
    ~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Monday, January 25, 2010 1:58 AM
  • How does Mesh decide it needs to throttle traffic?  If my ISP doesn't allow the type of packets it needs to accomplish this. But over 12 hours - over night (on an pretty much idle connection) - to transfer 200 megs at a max possible transfer rate of 400kbit its pretty surprising (to say the least).

I've had to shape the heck out of the Mesh traffic in order to try to keep mesh only using half my upstream (instead of saturating it).

Its a pretty vanilla setup, I'm not sure what network setting would cause this type of behaviour.  BTW all other traffic is entirely normal.

I'm suspecting my ISP is doing something which is causing Mesh to get confused. Stupid Rogers.
    Monday, January 25, 2010 2:24 PM
  • How are you "shaping" the traffic? Live Mesh throttles "itself" so as not to use up all of your bandwidth. It has nothing to do with packets your ISP allows. It sees your network utilization on the local network connection.

-steve
    ~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Tuesday, January 26, 2010 1:49 AM