Vista validation issue after a restore RRS feed

• Question

• Fry's Electronics did a windows restore and re-installed Vista Ultimate. When I attempt to activate I get an error message that says this is an "upgrade" version and cannot be validated as a "clean installation." I called Microsoft Vista support and was told to take my software back to the retailer (Frys) and they would issue a new product key that would allow activation. I questioned this suggestion four times to verify what sounded suspect. Anyway, I did as advised and Frys told me that they do not have product keys!  I suspect what happened was that Frys did a restore that wiped out the evidence of the old XP installation, thereby not recognizing Vista as an "upgrade," Shouldn't MS simply be able to issue me a new product key, after verifying I owned XP before, that overrides this activation error?
    Wednesday, March 7, 2007 8:35 PM

Answers

• Thanks Dan. Will I be able to install XP over the existing Vista? The XP version I had before Vista was also an upgrade, that was an upgrade from ME!  Does this have any bearing on your suggestion?

Dave

Wednesday, March 7, 2007 10:35 PM

All replies

• Dave De,

Assuming your computer had a qualifying installation of XP on it before you installed an upgrade license for Vista, in order for you to once again install Vista as an upgrade, you must first recreate the conditions that would once again qualify for an upgrade license for Vista.  To recreate those conditions would require that you backup and offload your data, then put XP back onto the computer, then conduct the upgrade installation.

Wednesday, March 7, 2007 9:35 PM
  • Thanks Dan. Will I be able to install XP over the existing Vista? The XP version I had before Vista was also an upgrade, that was an upgrade from ME!  Does this have any bearing on your suggestion?

Dave

Wednesday, March 7, 2007 10:35 PM
  • Dave De,

Not knowing exactly what the people at Fry's did, I can only assume that you are not able to uninstall Vista and get back your previous XP.

So follow the instructions in this MS KB:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/925809/en-us

At the bottom of that KB, there is a link to another KB that tells you how to install an upgrade license for XP:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/316941/

A clean installation with upgrade license and media requires that you provide (in your case) the Window Me full product CD to setup when it asks you for "qualifying media."  It checks the CD then tells you to put back the XP CD and then Setup resumes.  To do a clean installation from that point, choose the options to delete all partitions, make a new partition, format it in NTFS, then install XP.

Once you have XP on the computer, you will then be able to use an upgrade license for Vista to install Vista, either as a clean installation (choose Custom) or as an upgrade.  If you plan to do an upgrade installation, be sure that your XP has SP2 applied.

Wednesday, March 7, 2007 11:13 PM
  • After receiving "zero" satisfaction from Microsoft, I finally had to bite the frigging bullet and buy a complete version of Vista for an additional full price!  The "customer-no-service" representative from New Delhi or Madras told me that all I had to do was go back to Fry's Electronics (people who cleaned off my hard drive) and have them issue me a new key. I asked him three times to make sure that Fry's would do that, and he assured  me this "was not a problem."  Right!!  Fry's never heard of such a thing and told me as much.

Anyway, thing you responders for your kind counsel.

Dave De

Friday, May 4, 2007 5:25 PM