none
MCPD Exams RRS feed

• Question

• hello

i've decided to start studing for mcpd certificate both windows & web , i've known that i must pass 6 exams ( 4 mcts , 2 mcpd ,

mcts exams (70-511,70-513,70-515,70-516 )

mcpd exams (70-518,70-519)

------

i have no experience in programming but i'm interested in learning , i heard from a friend that i need to know c# , .net framework , object oriented programming , to understand what's written in mcts & mcpd preparation books.

so is this right or wrong ? also if you could recommend me a way to study & some books .

Saturday, February 18, 2012 12:54 AM

Answers

All replies

• Details of what's covered in the exams can be found here (on the Skills Measured tab):

The above links will also provide details of study material (on the Preparation Materials tab)

You will need to know VB.Net or C#

You will need at least 1-2yrs experience in .Net and VB.NET or C# to pass these exams (by hands on I mean working with the products, not just reading books and doing labs).

You can get a free Visual Studio 2010 and .NET Framework 4 Training Course here http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/VS2010TrainingCourse

Jeff Wharton
    MSysDev (C.Sturt), MDbDsgnMgt (C.Sturt), MCT, MCPD, MCITP, MCDBA
    Blog: Mr. Wharty's Ramblings
    MC ID: Microsoft Transcript

Please mark answered if I've answered your question and vote for it as helpful to help other user's find a solution quicker

Saturday, February 18, 2012 1:31 AM
  • Hi,

you're right with the exams, but you should have at least two to three years of practical (day-by-day) experience before taking an exam. Of course you can pass it earlier if you get strong experience.

For understanding the preparation books you should have some experience with the technology and not only of C#, but the preparation books, like mentioned, are not enough for passing the exams.

Best Regards. Please Mark Answered, If my solution solves your problem.

Saturday, February 18, 2012 1:35 AM
    Answerer
  • Niall Merrigan (MVP) also has some great study material on his blog

Blog: http://www.certsandprogs.com

70-515 Objectives List with MSDN Links
    70-536 Objectives List with MSDN Links
    70-505 Objectives List with MSDN Links
    70-562 Objectives List with MSDN Links
    70-433 Objectives List with MSDN Links

Jeff Wharton

Please mark answered if I've answered your question and vote for it as helpful to help other user's find a solution quicker

Saturday, February 18, 2012 1:36 AM
  • i'm a little confused ,i've talked to certification guidance team and their representative told me i don't need to have an experience and that reading the book and/or attending the classes in a training center is enough for passing the exams.

Saturday, February 18, 2012 1:56 AM
  • Generally speaking, doing courses and reading books will not give you the knowledge to pass these exams.  That said, I do know of people who have passed by doing this however they already had some experience as a developer and with .Net Framework, C#/VB.Net.  As you have no experience as a developer (or with .Net and C#/VB.Net), it's very unlikely that you'll pass these exams by doing courses and reading books.

Jeff Wharton

Saturday, February 18, 2012 1:59 AM
  • i studied basic programming in college that's all i know although the representative told me that some people had no experience & did pass the exams , so that's why i'm confused .also i did read the links for the exams for the study material but these links don't have books for c#/vb.net or .net framework .
    Saturday, February 18, 2012 2:09 AM
  • all i know although the representative told me that some people had no experience & did pass the exams , so that's why i'm confused

As previously advised by two different forum users, you need at least 1-2yrs experience.  Whether you wish to believe this or not is entirely up to you.  Also, do a search on this forum and you'll see this question has been asked many times before and the same answer was provided.

also i did read the links for the exams for the study material but these links don't have books for c#/vb.net or .net framework .

These links do provide details of books on these subjects.  All the self-paced books for these certifications contain both VB.Net and C# examples.  Here's an example (which also contains the words .Net Framework in its title)

MCTS Self-Paced Training Kit (Exam 70-511): Windows Applications
    Development with Microsoft .NET Framework 4 (
    http://www.amazon.com/MCTS-Self-Paced-Training-Exam-70-511/dp/0735627428)

If there's no books listed for an aexam, it means there's no official Microsoft book available.  There may be books from other suppliers however generally speaking, this means there's no book available therefore you will need to use your experinece and MSDN online to research the subject.

Jeff Wharton

Saturday, February 18, 2012 2:25 AM
  • i believe your words , i was just confused . as for the books i was looking for books that will explain c# only for beginners and the basics of .net framework & thanks again for your help.

Saturday, February 18, 2012 4:18 AM
  • Given that you don't have a lot of experience, you should do 70-536 (http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/exam.aspx?id=70-536) first as it is designed to measure your knowledge of .NET development fundamentals and is not tied to a particular version of .NET.  This will give you a good idea of your current skill level and what's required to pass an exam.  You could then move on to one of the MCPD certifications if you pass 70-536.

Jeff Wharton

Saturday, February 18, 2012 7:47 AM
  • 70-536 is tied to .NET 2.0 and 3.5 but never the less it is a good thing to have done. Personally I was a bit disappointed that it was brought forward to .NET 4

If you find you are struggling with the MCTS level exams there are the MTA exams (Microsoft Technology Associate) which are standalone certifications that will help you build up to the MCTS type exams.

They are listed here

These exams are quite good in giving you some grounding and fundamental knowledge if you dont have the required experience for the MCTS levels..

Blog: http://www.certsandprogs.com

70-515 Objectives List with MSDN Links
    70-536 Objectives List with MSDN Links
    70-505 Objectives List with MSDN Links
    70-562 Objectives List with MSDN Links
    70-433 Objectives List with MSDN Links

Saturday, February 18, 2012 5:46 PM