Power off without shutdown RRS feed

• Question

• Does Windows Server 2011 cope adequately with abrupt power-off rather than orderly shutdown?

I'd like to install a Proliant Microserver at our holiday cottage, so I can store my music on the server and play it via the HiFi system there (probably using a Logitech Squeezebox Duet). But I wouldn't want the visitors to be able to logon to the server, or even have to interact with it, apart from turning it on/off.

I'm not concerned about damage to open files, as nothing (other than the system itself) would be updating anything. I'd be the only person doing that.

Steve Swift

Wednesday, March 25, 2015 6:39 AM

Answers

• I think the only correct answer is no. However, I can imagine that the likelihood of an abrupt power-off causing problems is very low, expecially in the use-case you describe. I've had sudden power-offs quite a few times (say more than 10, less than 15) with no issues caused.

I guess a UPS would help though (I am ignorant about such devices but AFAIK, they can cause an orderly shutdown in case of power failure) to be certain. It all depends, I guess, on what reliability you require.

You might try it for yourself first: Build the thing, turn it on and use it and then pull the plug a few times and see how it behaves. BTW, I am unaware of any (Windows, don't know others) OS that would really copy with sudden power loss.

• Marked as answer by Olaf Engelke Wednesday, April 8, 2015 2:01 PM
    Wednesday, March 25, 2015 9:04 AM
  • While NTFS is relatively robust, its always a matter of luck in each version of Windows, if files or more likely registry entries are just worked on (rewritten/updated by the OS) and get corrupted to a level, that the system does not boot anymore.

Happens rarely, but happens.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

• Edited by Olaf Engelke Tuesday, March 31, 2015 9:07 AM
    Tuesday, March 31, 2015 9:06 AM

All replies

• I think the only correct answer is no. However, I can imagine that the likelihood of an abrupt power-off causing problems is very low, expecially in the use-case you describe. I've had sudden power-offs quite a few times (say more than 10, less than 15) with no issues caused.

I guess a UPS would help though (I am ignorant about such devices but AFAIK, they can cause an orderly shutdown in case of power failure) to be certain. It all depends, I guess, on what reliability you require.

You might try it for yourself first: Build the thing, turn it on and use it and then pull the plug a few times and see how it behaves. BTW, I am unaware of any (Windows, don't know others) OS that would really copy with sudden power loss.

Wednesday, March 25, 2015 9:04 AM
  • Of course, no one will say "sure, it will be fine". I run all my stuff here at home on a UPS, so I've never encountered an abrupt power-off (one happened in the middle of the night, but I wasn't around at the time, and the UPS eventually turned off. Everything survived).

I'm interested in real live situations. You've survived, so it's probably OK. 

I've come across a simpler setup, though.  A Synology DS213air has the disk space, the ability to run Logitech Media Server and a WiFi access point all in one relatively small box. Other than power, I'd have no wires to connect. And I'd be confident that a NAS is robust in the face of an abrupt power-off. They may not say as much, but you'd expect this would be one of the first things they tested. It would be no fun for them if they sold thousands, then a power outage affecting a large part of the country, wiped them all out. I believe this scenario has been tested for real in the NE USA...

Steve Swift

Wednesday, March 25, 2015 9:36 AM
  • While NTFS is relatively robust, its always a matter of luck in each version of Windows, if files or more likely registry entries are just worked on (rewritten/updated by the OS) and get corrupted to a level, that the system does not boot anymore.

Happens rarely, but happens.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

• Edited by Olaf Engelke Tuesday, March 31, 2015 9:07 AM
    Tuesday, March 31, 2015 9:06 AM