none
Windows Home Server disk failure RRS feed

• Question

• Excuse the language, but I'm bricks now. I have aHP Ex470 with a 500 Gig system volume and two 500 gig disks. I has looked to me like all our data is evenly distributed on the two drives, but I can't be sure. Duplication is enabled.

It has been acting a bit strange over the last few weeks and now, after a restart, it just blinks red on the status light and it doesn't start. I also hear a disturbing clunk sound. I have removed the two storage drives and then it starts, with of warnings naturally. I've been able to start it with one of the disks installed but not the other.

I guess one of the drives is scrap. but shouldn't the data still be safe? When I look inte console under Shared folders it says on almost all of them that they're failing. Also, some files open but others, in the ajecent folder, won't open because the program doesn't recognize the file format, even though it is the proper icon. And what should be my next move? I got a 2 gig drive I was planning to chuck in, if I do, will the system and data still be safe? I know when the disk didnt show up the other day, some files couldn't be opened, so as you probably understand, I'm really worried now...

Wednesday, October 26, 2011 6:45 AM

All replies

• With a failed disk (not failing, it's dead), you remove the disk physically, remove the "missing" disk in the console, install a replacement, add the replacement to server storage. Drive Extender takes care of the rest. This information is available in a number of places, including in these forums, where searching before posting is highly recommended. :)

Also, see this post in the FAQ section for a discussion of what data is at risk:

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whsfaq/thread/828b438f-5770-4f4b-bf82-b5d2f12e3887

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, October 26, 2011 1:26 PM
  • This seems to have solved most problems. I haven't been able yet to check if there still are problems with certain files as it was earlier.

However, it still says there is a problem with one of the shared folders, It says its failing, check health. I have not been able to determine exactly HOW you check the health of a failing folder. Any tips there?

Also, it has been indicating for a while that there are file conflicts. Is there any good info on how to resolve issues like that?

Lastly, before the disk crashed, it looked like the data was evenly distributed over the two disks. I guess that's something that happens over time, but is there some way to, well, encourage the server to do that right away? As it is now the old disk is used to 51% and the new to 5%. It says that the storage is balanced, but Im still a bit nervous.

Tuesday, November 1, 2011 11:06 PM