none
Cannot temporarily remove external hard drive from home server RRS feed

• Question

• I got 2 new external esata 1 TB hard drives for WHS backups. Purpose: rotate these drives off-site.

I plugged the first one in and backed up the WHS. I also installed the BDBB add-in that backs up the PC backup database to the external drive. I ran that add-in, so now, the external HD should contain a WHS backup and a backup of the PC backup database.

I went to Server Storage in the WHS console, selected the external drive, and clicked on "Remove." The "Remove a Hard Drive" dialog box comes up with "What do you want do to with this external hard drive?"
    "Temporarily remove it from my home server" is grayed out, and "Stop using it for server backups" is selected.

I want to select "temporarily remove it from home server" since I'm rotating it off site with the 2nd drive, but it is grayed out.

What do I do now?

Thanks.

EDIT: If it makes a difference, the WHS is an HP MediaSmart. Thanks again.

EDIT #2: Googled problem and got link to hpmediasmartserver.net with this post: http://www.mediasmartserver.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1900

Suggests shutting down WHS, reconnecting with a USB cable (seems eSata is the problem), rebooting WHS, and then removing the drive from the console. Maaaannn! Does it have to be that convoluted? Or is there something better? Please, you folks here are the experts. Let me know what is the best way to handle removing the eSata external backup drive so I can rotate backups on external eSata drives. Thanks again.

P.S. Ken Warren's instructions from another thread say I want to "temporarily remove it":

To back up your shares off site if you're a casual user you can use the Power Pack 1 tools. To do that, this should work:
    • Obtain two external drives, each of which is large enough to hold the shares you want an off-site backup of. Ideally, each drive will be significantly larger than that, to allow for expansion of storage needs over time, and changes to files in server storage (you can get access to old versions of files this way).
    • Connect each drive by itself, and use the Windows Home Server Console to add it as a backup drive.
    • Configure and perform a backup.
    • Temporarily remove the backup drive from the server using the Console. Windows Home Server will detect when you reconnect the drive and automatically add it back to the server as a backup drive if you choose to temporarily remove the drive.
    • Disconnect the drive.
    Now store one drive off-site. When you want to perform a backup, reconnect the on-site drive, do the backup, and temporarily remove it again. Rotate the on-site drive with the off-site drive on a regular basis.
    Friday, December 26, 2008 3:59 AM

Answers

• In case anyone else is in a similar situation  I found that I also have to power down the drive and repower it after switching from the eSata to the USB cable. Otherwise WHS doesn't find the drive even though a USB cable is now attached (at least my HP MSS doesn't find it). So the steps are:

1. Power down WHS
    2. Power off the external drive
    3. Connect the external drive to WHS via the USB cable
    4. Power on the external drive
    5. Power on the WHS
    6. After WHS finishes loading, one can open the WHS console, go to Server Storage at the top, select the drive from the "Server Backup Hard Drives" section, then click on Remove (or right click on the drive and choose remove) and now the "temporarily remove external hard drive from home server" can be selected.

• Marked as answer by Shangwe Sunday, December 28, 2008 2:57 AM
    Sunday, December 28, 2008 2:56 AM

All replies

• The inability to use the console to "temporarily remove" an eSATA drive is probably because of drivers or hardware. eSATA is often seen by the hardware and OS as being an internal drive, which usually can't be hot swapped. You should try connecting your drive via USB.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Proposed as answer by kariya21Moderator Saturday, December 27, 2008 4:11 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Shangwe Sunday, December 28, 2008 2:57 AM
    Friday, December 26, 2008 3:06 PM
  •  Would that mean turning off the WHS, reconnecting the external drive using the USB cable and port, and then restarting WHS before running "Remove" or can I do it without powering down first?

Thanks.
    Saturday, December 27, 2008 6:58 AM
  • Turn it off and change to a USB connection.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Saturday, December 27, 2008 4:44 PM
  • In case anyone else is in a similar situation  I found that I also have to power down the drive and repower it after switching from the eSata to the USB cable. Otherwise WHS doesn't find the drive even though a USB cable is now attached (at least my HP MSS doesn't find it). So the steps are:

1. Power down WHS
    2. Power off the external drive
    3. Connect the external drive to WHS via the USB cable
    4. Power on the external drive
    5. Power on the WHS
    6. After WHS finishes loading, one can open the WHS console, go to Server Storage at the top, select the drive from the "Server Backup Hard Drives" section, then click on Remove (or right click on the drive and choose remove) and now the "temporarily remove external hard drive from home server" can be selected.

• Marked as answer by Shangwe Sunday, December 28, 2008 2:57 AM
    Sunday, December 28, 2008 2:56 AM