Using 4x2TB WD Black Caviar Drives on WHS 2011 as RAID 5 - can't select for backup RRS feed

• Question

• I've read that many people are having issues with large backups on big home networks.  I've got larger than normal desktop 3TB+ of storage to backup and of course - under WHS v1 - it was fine.  I've been working all of September to get to WHS 2011.  With setting the backup folder now on my RAID 5 - via ICH10R on my MOBO - all is good.  I can now backup my big desktop - which is why I use WHS in the first place.  

With that background - I would like to know if there are any options in backing up now that large RAID-5 volume to my external server USB backup disk?  I don't want to back up everything - but I've got other shared server folders on that same drive letter and would like to back those up.  I can't select that drive letter at all in the wizard.  I know about the 2TB VHD problem - but I don't want to backup that much with the folders I would be selecting.  I've read about regedit to change how the wizard reacts - but no dice.  Does anyone know if M$ will change/upgrade that ability with a SP for WHS 2011?  or a power pack?  I think it's high time they realize that it's not all that unreasonable for home users to go way beyond 2TB in data.

Sorry - lots of things wrapped up in 1 Q.  But I want more out of WHS 2011 and looking for solutions now that DE is gone and I can actually have more direct involvement with what WHS is doing in the background.

thx

Monday, October 10, 2011 3:50 AM

All replies

• With the limitation being core to Server 2008r2 (not WHS) any changes would be

at best wishful thinking or speculation. You may want to give some serious consideration

to a 3rd party backup solution.

Monday, October 10, 2011 12:45 PM
  • Today, your options are to use a third party solution, as Garry suggests, or learn how to use the wbadmin command-line interface to the Windows Server 2008 R2 backup/restore engine. For the latter, please consult the help available from the server desktop, and Technet. Also, some time with a search engine may help you understand advanced use of the built-in tools; how's your Google-fu?

As for the future, I don't know if Microsoft has any plans to change the way the wizard works. To be honest I'd guess not, though they've proved me wrong in guesses like that before. :)

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, October 10, 2011 1:38 PM