Backups of backups in preparation for RC RRS feed

• Question

• Dear All,

I'm tydying up my data in preparation to backup prior to new RC(1) install, but I'd like to keep my existing PC backups if possible.  I cannot (be sure I can) locate the backups on my WHS and anyway I'm not sure what I'd do with them anyway in terms of importing into a new install of WHS.  Does anybody know if this is possible?  Or am I going to have to write them off?

I'm also guessing that it would be best to remove Windows Home Server Connector from all of the PCs in order to make the transition as smooth as possible, or am I being paranoid here?

In my current configuration I have 2 x 300GB disks and duplication is on for almost everything.  As my big external drive is out of commision for the moment I was wondering the sensibility of turning off duplication, removing the "duplication" disk, and using it as my backup?  As both disks are less than 6 months old, I not TOO worried that I'm going to get a failure during the upgrade process....

Thoughts and advice gratefully received.

Sunday, June 10, 2007 12:05 PM

Answers

• Not recommended to try and save the backups - just "write them off"

There were a few bugs that were discovered in how backups were stored in that we can't guarantee that the backups will actually be useful for restoring files and or entire PCs in a few situations.

The requirement for a 'wipe and load' (complete reinstall) of the RC build is due to the fact that the operating system partition on the first hard drive will now be 20 GB and that there were a few errors in how the automated PC backup database was storing information about your PCs.

You should uninstall the Connector from all of your home PCs and reinstall the Connector software after you get your home server up and running with the RC build

Sunday, June 10, 2007 3:45 PM