Changing 'expireson' attribute in the Contracts entity RRS feed

• Question

• We selected the 'expireson' attribute for when our contracts end. However, we did not realize that our Finance Team consistently falls behind in renewing our contracts. Resulting  in our Finance Team having copy over the their contract data to a new contract. Is there a way to change the behavior of the 'expireson' so the contract does not expire? My management does not want to add a new attribute to the ‘Contracts’ entity that deals with the ’End Date’ because there is so much code connected to 'expireson'.

Tuesday, February 18, 2014 3:41 PM

All replies

• Hi

One workaround can be to place expires on date as a future date, which could be several years from now. You can have javascript code to setup expireson for new records.

For old records, you can create an on-demand workflow and update expires on field and set it to a future date.

Tuesday, February 18, 2014 3:52 PM
  • We need the date in 'Expireson' to be set. We track our subscribers with this date. Our subscribers pay for a 1 year period. If move the contracts to a future date then we would be allowing our subscribers to have free use of our product. Of course, my management does not want that to happen.
    Tuesday, February 18, 2014 4:09 PM
  • CRM 2011 has a process called 'Set State' that makes our Contracts expire. Is there anyway to ensure that the 'Set State' does not run? 

• Edited by Supplyside Tuesday, February 18, 2014 4:31 PM
    Tuesday, February 18, 2014 4:24 PM
  • One way out of this will be to send reminders/notifications to your Finance team before the contract expires. This would help the finance team prioritize and act on the contracts. Sometimes it is good to keep the business process intact rather than tweaking CRM to accommodate user's flaw. I do not know your complete process but try talking to your mgmt and see if they can help with it.

Technically, you can use a plugin to prevent the default functionality. Check this to baseline your logic  http://crmentropy.blogspot.com/2010/10/dealing-with-automatic-draft-contract.html

If my response helps you in finding your answer then please click 'Mark as Answer' and 'Vote as Helpful'

Tuesday, February 18, 2014 11:41 PM