Moving Live OneCare from one computer to another RRS feed

• Question

• Can I remove Windows Live OneCare from one of my 3 computers and install it on a 4th?

Wednesday, December 19, 2007 5:59 PM

Answers

• If you are running version 1.6, simply uninstall from one PC and install on the new one. Activate with the same LiveID for your subscription.

If you are running 2.0 and at least one of your 2 PCs where you wish to keep OneCare installed is configured as a Hub, go to Manage my Circle from that PC and select the PC you wish to remove from your subscription, expand the details for that PC and then click on Remove this PC. This will cause the "removed" PC to become de-activated. You'll still want to uninstall from that PC if you plan on using another product on it instead of Onecare.

Note that this only works in 2.0.

-steve

Wednesday, December 19, 2007 8:23 PM

All replies

• If you are running version 1.6, simply uninstall from one PC and install on the new one. Activate with the same LiveID for your subscription.

If you are running 2.0 and at least one of your 2 PCs where you wish to keep OneCare installed is configured as a Hub, go to Manage my Circle from that PC and select the PC you wish to remove from your subscription, expand the details for that PC and then click on Remove this PC. This will cause the "removed" PC to become de-activated. You'll still want to uninstall from that PC if you plan on using another product on it instead of Onecare.

Note that this only works in 2.0.

-steve

Wednesday, December 19, 2007 8:23 PM
  • I have given up trying to install and reinstall.  I paid for three subscriptions.  Go to Norton.  Microsoft better get another system.  I just tried to reinstall and I am told I have ninety days. 

Thursday, December 20, 2007 4:25 AM
  •  hkn79 wrote:

I have given up trying to install and reinstall.  I paid for three subscriptions.  Go to Norton.  Microsoft better get another system.  I just tried to reinstall and I am told I have ninety days. 

Why would you pay for 3 subscriptions? Contact support to cancel two of them.

Each and every time you reinstall OneCare or add another PC to your subscription, you must activate that newly installed copy with the *same* LiveID (Subscription ID, also referred to in the past as a Passport, typically your email address or an @hotmail.com address.) that you originally subscribed with. If you sign in with a different LiveID, you will be asked to pay or provide a retail token since there is no subscription associated with the LiveID.

Verify your LiveID before a reinstall by opening OneCare and going to Help/About if possible on the PC you need to reisntall on or on any other PC where you have also activated OneCare for the same subscription.

-steve

Thursday, December 20, 2007 3:01 PM
  • I forgot my password for the original subscription and I cannot get a new one.  I am blocked.

Friday, January 11, 2008 12:17 AM
  •  hkn79 wrote:
    I forgot my password for the original subscription and I cannot get a new one.  I am blocked.

You can reset your password at http://account.live.com if you set up an alternate email address and/or configured the secret questions. If you can't do this, contact support, probably via email as a trial user - 

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Friday, January 11, 2008 12:29 PM