none
FDDI Support? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there. I have a Windows NT Server 4.0 running as my primary home server, and it is equipped with a FDDI PCI card. I wish to use the same FDDI card in a new server hardware running Windows Home Server (WHS). Does WHS support FDDI cards?

Thanks.

Wednesday, November 24, 2010 3:09 AM

Answers

• FDDI is early/mid-90s networking tech (i.e. pretty obsolete). If there are Windows Server 2003 drivers, it might work. Depends on what you really want to do with it, though.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by treet007 Wednesday, December 29, 2010 6:12 PM
    Wednesday, November 24, 2010 7:49 PM
  • No reason it shouldn't work, if you've got drivers. As for performance, effectively you've got 100BaseT plus jumbo frames, so performance should be a bit better than a standard Fast Ethernet network. :)
    Thursday, November 25, 2010 1:45 AM

All replies

• FDDI is early/mid-90s networking tech (i.e. pretty obsolete). If there are Windows Server 2003 drivers, it might work. Depends on what you really want to do with it, though.
    Wednesday, November 24, 2010 7:49 PM
  • Hi Ken, thanks for the reply. I have a FDDI network using two Synoptics 3000 workgroup concentrators (primary and backup), and it is used to support my backend network. I use fiber optics to isolate the network from copper-based electrical surges. Despite independently having both my data wiring and electrical setup checked (including have a good-size UPS supporting my comm rack), I have lost computer equipment after a severe thunderstorms due to power surges travelling through the copper lines. So, I wish to have WHS replace my primary file server but still use my FDDI backbone.

BTW, I have been able to stream video and audio over FDDI with no problems. Being a deterministic, token-based technology, it seems to do very well in the 21st century :-)

Wednesday, November 24, 2010 9:48 PM
  • No reason it shouldn't work, if you've got drivers. As for performance, effectively you've got 100BaseT plus jumbo frames, so performance should be a bit better than a standard Fast Ethernet network. :)
    Thursday, November 25, 2010 1:45 AM