Active Directory Manipulation Question RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All, 

I am trying to identify computer names from a Security Group in Active Directory that holds all of their user names automatically.  Can this be done? 

Thanks in advance, 

D

• Edited by Dnap941 Wednesday, September 9, 2015 10:00 PM
    • Moved by Bill_Stewart Monday, October 19, 2015 4:21 PM Unanswerable drive-by question
    Wednesday, September 9, 2015 9:50 PM

Answers

• You will need to break down your goal into manageable steps, and you will also need to learn what steps can be automated with script. In order to know this, you will need to learn the technologies you're being asked to manage. There is no web site out there where someone has foreknowledge of your environment and has written code that exactly matches your specific scenario. You will simply have to dig in and start learning. We all start somewhere.

-- Bill Stewart [Bill_Stewart]

• Proposed as answer by Bill_Stewart Thursday, September 17, 2015 8:14 PM
    • Marked as answer by Bill_Stewart Monday, October 19, 2015 4:21 PM
    Thursday, September 10, 2015 3:51 AM

All replies

• A list of things you want to accomplish isn't a question. Please start by reading the following:
    The above articles will help you to focus on a specific question and how to ask it.

Wednesday, September 9, 2015 9:55 PM
  • How are you going to know what the department is?

\_(ツ)_/

Wednesday, September 9, 2015 9:58 PM
  • Let me rephrase my question. 

Is it possible within AD to take users that are located in a user group and find their computer name and pair them up? 

Wednesday, September 9, 2015 10:03 PM
  • Yes if you have a known fixed naming convention.

What have you tried?

\_(ツ)_/

Wednesday, September 9, 2015 10:16 PM
  • I haven't.  I'm not exactly sure what I should be searching for on this type of issue.  This kind of work is all new to me.  Are there any articles you can point me too? Much appreciated. 

Our naming convention varies from department to department.  The pool of users in the group I mentioned up above are mixed departments unfortunately.  e.g. some people have HQ-username while others have draft-username and etc. Will this not work then? 

Thanks again,

Dominick 

Thursday, September 10, 2015 12:23 AM
  • Your issue is too specific for articles but you can start here: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/scriptcenter/dd793612.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

\_(ツ)_/

Thursday, September 10, 2015 12:31 AM
  • You will need to break down your goal into manageable steps, and you will also need to learn what steps can be automated with script. In order to know this, you will need to learn the technologies you're being asked to manage. There is no web site out there where someone has foreknowledge of your environment and has written code that exactly matches your specific scenario. You will simply have to dig in and start learning. We all start somewhere.

• Proposed as answer by Bill_Stewart Thursday, September 17, 2015 8:14 PM
    • Marked as answer by Bill_Stewart Monday, October 19, 2015 4:21 PM
    Thursday, September 10, 2015 3:51 AM