Migration RRS feed

• Question

• I have decided to upgrade my home server to Windows Home server from Vista business.  I have a hard drive with all avi movies along with family photos, my question is when I format the boot drive will Home server recognize the other drive with all my files or will I loose the info if I mount the drive, I read some where that if I install another drive it will require formatting. 

Thanks in advance.
    Thursday, October 16, 2008 4:37 PM

Answers

• This is really an answer for both of you. Windows Home Server doesn't have any tools built in to make moving data to the server easier, or to make reusing an old PC with data intact possible. The assumption is that most people will buy pre-built units like the HP MediaSmart Server, so not a lot of old PCs; and Microsoft isn't about to second guess you concerning where your data should end up, so no automated tools to move data to the server.

If you have drives that already contain data, and you want that data on your server, the simplest way to get the job done is to build the server with two new drives. (You want two drives so you avoid filling your system drive with files.) Connect the largest of your drives that currently contains data to any computer on your network, and copy the contents to the server's shares. Then add the drive you just copied the data from to the server's storage pool. Repeat for each of your drives with data.

If you want to use share duplication, you will need enough additional storage to support that. You can buy one or more additional drives to supply the storage you need, if you don't have large needs. If you have a lot of data (say 3+ disks full now, especially if they're smaller, older drives) you want to adopt a different strategy. In that case, go out and buy the appropriate number of 1 TB disks (which are ridiculously inexpensive all of a sudden) to hold all your data twice, and don't worry about reusing your older disks. (You'll realize a small power savings, too. Fewer drives = less heat, noise and power.)

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, October 16, 2008 9:51 PM

All replies

• When you initially install Windows Home Server, it will format any drives that are connected at that time. (Except USB drives; you will be required to disconnect those.)

I would recommend taking a look at some of the documents on the Windows Home Server support page. The Getting Started Guide and the release documentation in particular should be usefule for you right now.

Thursday, October 16, 2008 4:59 PM
  • Hello Ken and I want to thank you for your input.  How would you go about adding a hard drive with over 500 avi files on the Home server without it formatting the drive.  Should I connect it to another system then network copy them to the Home Server.
    Thursday, October 16, 2008 8:41 PM
  • Same question - I am looking at converting my current desktop computer (which has a separate harddrive for data storage) in my home server.  I have bought a new HDD and would like to install WHS on that, and 'move the files' onto the newly WHS'd computer, to make it the central repository for that data.  Is this possible or is backup only possible if I connect that HDD to another computer and back it up that way?

Migration did not appear to be included in the support page you linked to.

Thanks!
    Thursday, October 16, 2008 9:03 PM
  • This is really an answer for both of you. Windows Home Server doesn't have any tools built in to make moving data to the server easier, or to make reusing an old PC with data intact possible. The assumption is that most people will buy pre-built units like the HP MediaSmart Server, so not a lot of old PCs; and Microsoft isn't about to second guess you concerning where your data should end up, so no automated tools to move data to the server.

If you have drives that already contain data, and you want that data on your server, the simplest way to get the job done is to build the server with two new drives. (You want two drives so you avoid filling your system drive with files.) Connect the largest of your drives that currently contains data to any computer on your network, and copy the contents to the server's shares. Then add the drive you just copied the data from to the server's storage pool. Repeat for each of your drives with data.

If you want to use share duplication, you will need enough additional storage to support that. You can buy one or more additional drives to supply the storage you need, if you don't have large needs. If you have a lot of data (say 3+ disks full now, especially if they're smaller, older drives) you want to adopt a different strategy. In that case, go out and buy the appropriate number of 1 TB disks (which are ridiculously inexpensive all of a sudden) to hold all your data twice, and don't worry about reusing your older disks. (You'll realize a small power savings, too. Fewer drives = less heat, noise and power.)

Thursday, October 16, 2008 9:51 PM
  • Thanks Ken.   I figured as much (likely I will have to buy an external usb enclosure and install the WHS on the existing system drive (250gb), move the data from the 500gb drive with data then format and add that to the systme, then throw in the brand new 1.5tb drive I just bought.

I just find it odd that MS offers the WHS software for trial download (so I would assume they want people to install on computers already in use, but don't really explain or assume that people will be doing as such.

Thursday, October 16, 2008 11:15 PM
  • Thanks again Ken,  I guess I will head out to Tigerdirect and buy that 1tb hard drive they have on sale for $99.00.  Once again thank you for your expertise.

Lee
    Friday, October 17, 2008 2:09 AM
  • I would recommend against using USB drives in the storage pool. Using them for server backup drives is fine, but too many users have had issues with them when they're part of server storage.
    Friday, October 17, 2008 12:25 PM
  • To clarify the usb enclosure would only be used to get the data off the data hdd onto the server - then the hdd would be added to the server (formated and assist in the redundancy)  or do you mean people are having trouble transferring files from a USB linked HDD to the WHS machine?

Saturday, October 18, 2008 8:09 PM
  • Using a usb drive to temporarily put your data is alright.  People just suggest not using usb as a drive added to the storage pool.  These seem to dissapear from time to time and lose power, slow, etc.  WHS doesn't like missing drives..
    athlon 3400, 2gb ram, 7 drives totaling about 3.15 tbs.
    Sunday, October 19, 2008 4:00 AM