none
data breakpoints grayed out in visual studio 2017 community edition

Question

• Hi,

I used all previous version of visual studio and was always able to set break point by pressing F9 however, I am not able to do it now. Also under new breakpoint there are two type, function and data breakpoint. My data breakpoint is disabled and I am not to able to view data runtime. Also, now i have to press both fn and f9 together to step into next line but then it is the laptop manufacturer i believe. I am using new thinkpad which i recently purchased. But databreakpoint is grayed out all the time!!!

Warm Regards,

Friday, June 16, 2017 12:19 PM

All replies

• Hi Shabana.Parveen,

>>Also, now i have to press both fn and f9 together to step into next line but then it is the laptop manufacturer i believe. I am using new thinkpad which i recently purchased.

For this issue, I think it would be related to your thinkpad itself which has different keyboard. For example, generally we refresh the page with F5, I think you need to click fn+F5 to refresh the page in your browser now.

>>databreakpoint is grayed out all the time!!!

For this issue, I think it would be related to the project type you were debugging.

For example, if you create a simple VC/VC++ project, how about the result?

I test it in my VS2017 community, I could get the result like the following screen shot:

My understanding is that Data breakpoints are only supported for native code. Sample here:

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/visualstudioalm/2013/10/14/data-breakpoints/

Actually some community members also submitted the feature request for other developing language before:

https://visualstudio.uservoice.com/forums/121579-visual-studio-ide/suggestions/6097301-support-data-breakpoints-for-c

Best Regards,

Jack

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, June 19, 2017 7:23 AM
  • Hi Shabana.Parveen,

Do you get helpful information from my suggestion?

If you have any latest information, please feel free to share it here.

Sincerely,

Jack

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, June 26, 2017 10:34 AM
  • I hit the same issue and find it to be super annoying.  I just learned that for some reason, it is a "good idea" to only enable Data Breakpoints whenever in a break state.  That said, just pause execution and you will have it enabled back again.

Wednesday, June 6, 2018 5:57 PM