Another WHS 81% restore issue - but only with 1 backup RRS feed

• Question

• I had to rebuild my PC, and when I try to restore files from my WHS backup, it sticks at 81%.

This ONLY happens with the C drive backup from this PC.  I can access all other backups from other PC's on the network, and I can also access the System drive from this backup.

I think this has been asked a few times, but not sure I ever saw an answer - is it possible that my free hard drive space is not sufficient to mount a full backup of my old PC drive?  I am not yet desperate for this data, but the panic could start to set in at just about any time....

Thursday, August 2, 2012 3:53 PM

Answers

• OK everyone, I was able to get my data back by using a few external tools.  These tools are obviously not supported, and possibly dangerous.  I didn't care, since my data was out of reach anyway.

WhsDbCheck and WhsDbDataDump from http://blog.whssafebackup.com/ were used to get my files back.  I found a link to them posted somewhere else in these WHS forums.

I ran WhsDbCheck on level 1 and it found no database errors (you just run the .exe from inside the same folder that the database files are kept in).  When I ran it at level 2, it took several hours and did find database errors specific to my PC's backup.

After finding out that I did have DB errors, and that was why my restore was failing, I used WhsDbDataDump to do an NTFS data dump of my backup.  It took 7.5 hours (left it running overnight) and was able to restore the entire backup to a directory on the server.  I then finished by copying the data to the external drive and then back to my PC.

All of the options for these to programs can be found with the /? switch, and if you are relatively familiar with running command line utilities it is not too difficult.

Saturday, August 4, 2012 10:11 PM

All replies

• Try a "bare metal" restore, using the Home Computer Restore CD.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

Thursday, August 2, 2012 5:02 PM
  • Try a "bare metal" restore, using the Home Computer Restore CD.

Thanks, Ken.  Does that just mean restore a blank hard drive?
    Thursday, August 2, 2012 5:49 PM
  • Yes. It will need to be the same size or larger than the one it's replacing.

Thursday, August 2, 2012 6:25 PM
  • No such luck.  I am able to connect to the server and start the restore process, but am consistently getting 'An unknown network error has occurred during PC Restore'.

I also tried (found this listed elsewhere on the net) using the ClientRestoreWizard.exe.  It initially looks like it might work, but when you go to choose the data to restore and the drive to restore from, they are both greyed out.

Friday, August 3, 2012 1:58 AM
  • *UPDATE*  After wiping out the secondary drive completely, I was able to attempt a restore.  Unfortunately, I experienced the exact same issue - 'An unknown network error has occurred during PC Restore'.

Thinking that perhaps there is some latency on the network, I have moved the WHS down into my office and plugged it into my local gigabit switch. Same error.

Has anyone ever plugged an external hard drive directly into the WHS and tried to restore that way?

• Edited by KWBarron Friday, August 3, 2012 3:25 AM
    Friday, August 3, 2012 2:31 AM
  • OK, now it is just being cruel.

I bought a 2GB external drive and plugged it in directly to the server, then ran the restore wizard on the server to restore my backup to the new drive.

It still says 'An unknown network error has occurred during PC Restore' and there is no network involved!

Friday, August 3, 2012 7:41 PM
  • A little more info (hoping this will help someone point me in the direction of a fix).

When the restore dies, these are the errors in the logs:

1)  Received abort message from BACKUP1 with reason 10.

2)  Unexpected error 0x1f from CreateFile on D:\folders\{00008086-058D-4C89-AB57-A7F909A47AB4}\{0BF5EDE1-C17E-491A-9E07-77EAE557D424}.Machine.configdat: A device attached to the system is not functioning.

3)  Client Backup server failed at d:\wssg_src\whs_pp3\qhs\src\backup\util\diskfile.cpp(145)

4)  The Client Backup Service has started.

So it seems like the Backup Service is dying either as the cause of or the effect from the Abort code 'reason 10'.

Thoughts?

Friday, August 3, 2012 8:42 PM
  • OK everyone, I was able to get my data back by using a few external tools.  These tools are obviously not supported, and possibly dangerous.  I didn't care, since my data was out of reach anyway.

WhsDbCheck and WhsDbDataDump from http://blog.whssafebackup.com/ were used to get my files back.  I found a link to them posted somewhere else in these WHS forums.

I ran WhsDbCheck on level 1 and it found no database errors (you just run the .exe from inside the same folder that the database files are kept in).  When I ran it at level 2, it took several hours and did find database errors specific to my PC's backup.

After finding out that I did have DB errors, and that was why my restore was failing, I used WhsDbDataDump to do an NTFS data dump of my backup.  It took 7.5 hours (left it running overnight) and was able to restore the entire backup to a directory on the server.  I then finished by copying the data to the external drive and then back to my PC.

All of the options for these to programs can be found with the /? switch, and if you are relatively familiar with running command line utilities it is not too difficult.

Saturday, August 4, 2012 10:11 PM