Need to buy WGA Kit, How? RRS feed

• Question

• I've found I have a counterfeit copy of XP Home Edition and I think I need to upgrade with a WGA kit.  Following is the diagnostic report, What is my next step?

Thanks,

Brian

Diagnostic Report (1.5.0545.0):

-----------------------------------------

WGA Data-->

Validation Status: Blocked VLK

Windows Product Key: *****-*****-B3FGF-CWYCR-3CQVX

Windows Product Key Hash: zBSJMcNiGfEbRQ84FHhNd0GVYWs=

Windows Product ID: 55274-645-6583391-23798

Windows Product ID Type: 1

Windows License Type: Volume

Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro

ID: 843e3cf8-a6f2-4c7b-bb38-a3c3e7eb68b3

Is Admin: Yes

AutoDial: No

Registry: 0x0

WGA Version: Registered, 1.5.540.0

Signed By: Microsoft

Validation Diagnostic:

Resolution Status: N/A

System Scan Data-->

Scan: Complete

Cryptography: Complete

Notifications Data-->

Cached Result: 3

File Exists: Yes

Version: 1.5.540.0

WgaTray.exe Signed By: Microsoft

WgaLogon.dll Signed By: Microsoft

OGA Data-->

Office Status: 114

Office Diagnostics:

Browser Data-->

Proxy settings: N/A

User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Win32)

Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe

Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt

Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Prompt

Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed

Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Prompt

Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Allowed

Active scripting: Allowed

Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->

Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>843e3cf8-a6f2-4c7b-bb38-a3c3e7eb68b3</UGUID><Version>1.5.0545.0</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro</OS><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-3CQVX</PKey><PID>55274-645-6583391-23798</PID><PIDType>1</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-1060284298-1993962763-1343024091</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>ECS                             </Manufacturer><Model>K7S5A                           </Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>American Megatrends Inc.        </Manufacturer><Version>07.00T                          </Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="3"/><Date>20010402000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>801F3E1F0184A06B</HWID><UserLCID>0409</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>Central Standard Time(GMT-06:00)</TimeZone></MachineData>         <Software><Office><Result>114</Result><Products><Product GUID="{90280409-6000-11D3-8CFE-0050048383C9}"><LegitResult>114</LegitResult><Name>Microsoft Office XP Professional with FrontPage</Name><Ver>10</Ver><Val>39476F84C4B4004</Val><Hash>4iCnywwNW1w4s9ukTIwGMGxyGic=</Hash><Pid>54185-640-0000025-17555</Pid></Product></Products></Office></Software></GenuineResults>

Monday, August 28, 2006 5:56 AM

Answers

• The-Puck,

Go to http://www.microsoft.com/genuine and click validate. If you fail validation, the website will take you to a page that gives you options on what you can do next, including purchasing the WGA kit. I have also left options below. Perhaps they can be of some use to you:

Occasionally we have had some customers that purchased valid copies of Windows or received them when purchasing an OEM system but failed validation. In most cases this has been determined to be the result of the actual Product Key used to install the current version of Windows XP to be blocked. This most often has occurred by the computer being repaired and a Blocked Product Key being used on the computer at that time.

To confirm there are no other blocking issues with your validation such as clock out of synch or IE settings blocking the validation process please run the WGA Diagnostics located here:

http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/diag/

If everything here is confirmed as functioning properly and you still have issues validating could you please run the wgadiag tool again and post the information for us.

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012

Without actually posting your Product Key in this post compare the last 15 characters of your COA to the last 15 characters in the Diag output. If they are not the same you will have to change the product key. The easiest way to do this without having to re-install applications or lose data is to refer to the Repair Method in this KB Article.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315341/en-us

Warning: as with any such major procedure it is highly recommended you backup all critical/personal data on your computer that you would not want to lose and ensure you have the software to re-install your applications should something happen.

We can also attempt to change the key using the Product Key Update tool below. The Genuine Advantage Product Key Update Tool is only valid for users attempting to change their current non-genuine Product Key to a genuine COA sticker or genuine Product Key – all without a reinstall! http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/selfhelp/PkuInstructions.aspx?displayLang=en

Note: This is provided no core system files are corrupted. If they are you will need to complete a clean install of your system.

Monday, August 28, 2006 1:26 PM

All replies

• The problem you have is a very common one.  A repair shop or previous owner of your PC loaded a corporate version of Windows rather than the one that the PC originally came with, because the manufacturer's restore disc(s) were lost or the PC never came with CD's.

The unfortunate thing is that the corporate version is XP Professional, and Microsoft will only offer the "Genuine Advantage Kit" for the version of Windows that is already on the machine, even though you probably don't need or want Professional and would be happy with XP Home.  I think this is a big mistake on MS's part, as many people who would pay $99 for the XP Home WGA kit are simply not prepared to spend $150 to again purchase software that's already on their machine.  Perhaps in the future they will change this inane policy and start offering both versions so users can choose which one they want to buy.

Monday, August 28, 2006 6:24 AM
  • The-Puck,

Go to http://www.microsoft.com/genuine and click validate. If you fail validation, the website will take you to a page that gives you options on what you can do next, including purchasing the WGA kit. I have also left options below. Perhaps they can be of some use to you:

Occasionally we have had some customers that purchased valid copies of Windows or received them when purchasing an OEM system but failed validation. In most cases this has been determined to be the result of the actual Product Key used to install the current version of Windows XP to be blocked. This most often has occurred by the computer being repaired and a Blocked Product Key being used on the computer at that time.

To confirm there are no other blocking issues with your validation such as clock out of synch or IE settings blocking the validation process please run the WGA Diagnostics located here:

http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/diag/

If everything here is confirmed as functioning properly and you still have issues validating could you please run the wgadiag tool again and post the information for us.

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012

Without actually posting your Product Key in this post compare the last 15 characters of your COA to the last 15 characters in the Diag output. If they are not the same you will have to change the product key. The easiest way to do this without having to re-install applications or lose data is to refer to the Repair Method in this KB Article.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315341/en-us

Warning: as with any such major procedure it is highly recommended you backup all critical/personal data on your computer that you would not want to lose and ensure you have the software to re-install your applications should something happen.

We can also attempt to change the key using the Product Key Update tool below. The Genuine Advantage Product Key Update Tool is only valid for users attempting to change their current non-genuine Product Key to a genuine COA sticker or genuine Product Key – all without a reinstall! http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/selfhelp/PkuInstructions.aspx?displayLang=en

Note: This is provided no core system files are corrupted. If they are you will need to complete a clean install of your system.

Monday, August 28, 2006 1:26 PM
  • When I run the online diagnostic it hangs at the last of the five steps "Checking - Microsoft ActiveX Controls Loading"

I can't find the book that had the product key in it so I've accepted that I'm probably going to have to buy the $99 XP home upgrade kit, I just need to know what I need to do to download and pay for it. 

What Do I do next?

Thanks,
    Brian

When I run the MGAdiag.exe the results are:

WGA Data-->

Validation Diagnostic:

System Scan Data-->

Notifications Data-->

OGA Data-->

Office Diagnostics:

Browser Data-->

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->

Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>843e3cf8-a6f2-4c7b-bb38-a3c3e7eb68b3</UGUID><Version>1.5.0545.0</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro</OS><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-3CQVX</PKey><PID>55274-645-6583391-23798</PID><PIDType>1</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-1060284298-1993962763-1343024091</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>ECS                             </Manufacturer><Model>K7S5A                           </Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>American Megatrends Inc.        </Manufacturer><Version>07.00T                          </Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="3"/><Date>20010402000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>801F3E1F0184A06B</HWID><UserLCID>0409</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>Central Standard Time(GMT-06:00)</TimeZone></MachineData>    <Software><Office><Result>114</Result><Products><Product GUID="{90280409-6000-11D3-8CFE-0050048383C9}"><LegitResult>114</LegitResult><Name>Microsoft Office XP Professional with FrontPage</Name><Ver>10</Ver><Val>39476F84C4B4004</Val><Hash>4iCnywwNW1w4s9ukTIwGMGxyGic=</Hash><Pid>54185-640-0000025-17555</Pid></Product></Products></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Monday, August 28, 2006 11:17 PM
  •  BCohen wrote:

The problem you have is a very common one.  A repair shop or previous owner of your PC loaded a corporate version of Windows rather than the one that the PC originally came with, because the manufacturer's restore disc(s) were lost or the PC never came with CD's.

The unfortunate thing is that the corporate version is XP Professional, and Microsoft will only offer the "Genuine Advantage Kit" for the version of Windows that is already on the machine, even though you probably don't need or want Professional and would be happy with XP Home.  I think this is a big mistake on MS's part, as many people who would pay $99 for the XP Home WGA kit are simply not prepared to spend $150 to again purchase software that's already on their machine.  Perhaps in the future they will change this inane policy and start offering both versions so users can choose which one they want to buy.

The Windows Product Key Update Tool, included with the WGA Kit, will only work with a Windows XP Professional Product Key if the user is running a non-genuine version of Windows XP Professional.  Otherwise, a "clean install" of Windows XP Home Edition would be required which many users do not wish to perform.

Monday, August 28, 2006 11:47 PM
  • In order to resolve your non-genuine licensing issue, please visit: www.microsoft.com/genuine and click on "Validate Windows". When validation fails, click on the Get Genuine button which will provide information on how to acquire a WGA Kit.
    Monday, August 28, 2006 11:50 PM
  • It won't complete the validation process online, it just runs and runs and runs (see earlier post). It never completes or fails.  I keep getting the star in my sys tray telling me i have counterfeit software.  I can't get to the "Get Genuine" to push it.

Thanks,

Brian

Tuesday, August 29, 2006 1:23 AM
  •  

Please download and install the WGA file directly:

http://download.microsoft.com/download/5/3/3/533a40be-936b-4267-b043-2f04233a78a6/WindowsXP-KB905474-ENU-x86.exe

Then restart your computer.  Does this solve the problem?

Tuesday, August 29, 2006 2:57 AM
  • Nope, I ran the program, restarted and it took me to the "Buy Now" button, I pushed it and it took me to a page titled "Complet Order Using Alternate Method", that page has a "continue" link that downloads the legitcheck.hta file which I've tried numerous times to run.  That program gives me the "Validation Not Completed: ActiveX Error", I then go to the "click here" link which takes me to the diagnostics program that stalls out as decribed before.

Thanks for all your help but I'm still stuck. 

Tuesday, August 29, 2006 3:22 AM
  • Please try the following:

Open internet explorer, click "tools" then "manage add-ons" then find the Windows Genuine Advantage ActiveX control and put it as "ENABLE". If the setting is only allowed to be changed by administrators, then you must go to your C:\windows\system32 and DELETE the LegitCheckControl.dll file. Then go to http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/downloads/Validate.aspx?displaylang=en and revalidate. That will reload the DLL file correctly. Reboot your computer after this.

Tuesday, August 29, 2006 3:54 AM
  •  The-Puck wrote:

When I run the online diagnostic it hangs at the last of the five steps "Checking - Microsoft ActiveX Controls Loading"

I can't find the book that had the product key in it so I've accepted that I'm probably going to have to buy the $99 XP home upgrade kit, I just need to know what I need to do to download and pay for it. 

What Do I do next?

Thanks,
    Brian

When I run the MGAdiag.exe the results are:

WGA Data-->

Validation Diagnostic:

System Scan Data-->

Notifications Data-->

OGA Data-->

Office Diagnostics:

Browser Data-->

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->

Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>843e3cf8-a6f2-4c7b-bb38-a3c3e7eb68b3</UGUID><Version>1.5.0545.0</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro</OS><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-3CQVX</PKey><PID>55274-645-6583391-23798</PID><PIDType>1</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-1060284298-1993962763-1343024091</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>ECS                             </Manufacturer><Model>K7S5A                           </Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>American Megatrends Inc.        </Manufacturer><Version>07.00T                          </Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="3"/><Date>20010402000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>801F3E1F0184A06B</HWID><UserLCID>0409</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>Central Standard Time(GMT-06:00)</TimeZone></MachineData>    <Software><Office><Result>114</Result><Products><Product GUID="{90280409-6000-11D3-8CFE-0050048383C9}"><LegitResult>114</LegitResult><Name>Microsoft Office XP Professional with FrontPage</Name><Ver>10</Ver><Val>39476F84C4B4004</Val><Hash>4iCnywwNW1w4s9ukTIwGMGxyGic=</Hash><Pid>54185-640-0000025-17555</Pid></Product></Products></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Puck, at this time, we only allow and offer the ability to purchase a Genuine copy of WIndows to replace your non-genuine copy. Meaning: There is currently a copy of XP Professional running on your system, and its only able to be replaced by XP Professional for 149$USD.

Oddly enough, I'm guessing the browser isn't properly configured to run ActiveX controls - could you delete "LegitCheckControl.dll" (located in c:\windows\system32) then go back to www.microsoft.com/genuine and click Validate?

Thanks,

-phil

Tuesday, August 29, 2006 8:40 AM
  • Cary:

I tried the "Manage Add-on's" as you described and MGA ActiveX is not listed there anywhere.  Not on either the "Loaded" or "Has been used" pull down menu.   FYI - All items on both lists are marked "Enabled" including many othe ActiveX controls.

Phil:

I removed the legitcheck.dll as you instructed, restarted, checked to make sure it was still gone and then went to www.microsoft.com/genuine and clicked Validate. It takes me to a screen that reads "Running the Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool" and mentions that I should see the activeX dialogue box but that activeX box never appears under the address line.

If I have to buy the $149 WGA kit for Windows professional, So be it, I just want to get the copy legit so I can get updates as needed.

Thanks again for all the help..

Tuesday, August 29, 2006 12:03 PM
  • Still stuck.  Please help.
    Wednesday, August 30, 2006 12:03 AM
  • Puck:

I think you may be having an issue with your IE browser not being properly configured to run ActiveX controls. I suggest filing a support request directly at

http://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?&c1=509&gprid=9860&

While not directly WGA related, they will get your browser configured properly to run all ActiveX controls on all web-pages, as well as be able to order the WGA Kit.

Thanks!

-phil

Wednesday, August 30, 2006 1:05 AM
  • OK microsoft is giving me the runaround, I was given some email advice which I tried to use to fix my browser setting so that it would run activex but nothing worked.  The tech gave me two numbers to try and they both tell me WGA can only be purchased online so I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place.

I want to purchase a legit copy of windows but they won't let me. If I choose to purchase a copy at a local store so that I have a legit product key, do I have to buy the full version or can I purchase the upgrade since I already have XP pro loaded with an apparently invalid product key?

Thanks

Brian

Wednesday, September 6, 2006 2:32 AM
  •  The-Puck wrote:

OK microsoft is giving me the runaround, I was given some email advice which I tried to use to fix my browser setting so that it would run activex but nothing worked.  The tech gave me two numbers to try and they both tell me WGA can only be purchased online so I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place.

I want to purchase a legit copy of windows but they won't let me. If I choose to purchase a copy at a local store so that I have a legit product key, do I have to buy the full version or can I purchase the upgrade since I already have XP pro loaded with an apparently invalid product key?

Thanks

Brian

You would need to purchase a "Full Version" of Windows XP Professional.

Wednesday, September 6, 2006 3:00 AM