Dashboard won't open but RDP is fine RRS feed

• Question

• I have the Connector installed and functioning (as far as i know) normally. The launchpad is fine, i can initiate backups see warnings etc. If i attempt to launch the dashboard i'm asked to provide a password and do, i click the arrow and the mstcs window will flash up briefly and the connection progress bar continues to animate. And then nothing happens. Eventually the progress bar will timeout and stop. the dashboard doesn't connect.

I can't find anything in the event logs on either the server or the client that correlates to the problem. I have another computer which can get into the dashboard without issue which makes me think the issue is on the client side but i'm hoping someone can help me work out what it is and resolve it.

No addins, stock dashboard. Both client systems i have have been used with a WHS1 server, the old connector was removed, the system rebooted and the new one installed without problems. RDP from the affected client system works perfectly.

Can anyone provide any guidance on how to track down and resolve the issue?

Tuesday, December 18, 2012 7:31 PM

Answers

• For anyone who has the same problem and finds this I've found the problem. There isn't a good solution but i can now access the dashboard to recover files from the backup if i need to so my needs are met, albeit in an unsatisfactory way.

The problem is authentication. The launchpad uses saved credentials on 7 (and presumably vista and 8). If you also attempt to save credentials for an rdp connection which are not the same as those used to access the dashboard then the dashboard will fail to load because login to the RemoteApp session will fail, you can find the invalid logins in the security log.

The simple answer is not to save credentials for anything other than the launchpad. This is a little irritating. You could work around this by using an rdp connection app to save the credentials outside the windows credential cache. Or you could just live with having to provide the password each time you rdp into the server.

If you have a problem go to the credential manager and remove all saved credentials (generic and windows) for the server. Then attempt to connect with the launchpad again, it should now connect.

• Marked as answer by Wraith3 Monday, December 24, 2012 1:23 PM
    Monday, December 24, 2012 1:23 PM

All replies

• For anyone who has the same problem and finds this I've found the problem. There isn't a good solution but i can now access the dashboard to recover files from the backup if i need to so my needs are met, albeit in an unsatisfactory way.

The problem is authentication. The launchpad uses saved credentials on 7 (and presumably vista and 8). If you also attempt to save credentials for an rdp connection which are not the same as those used to access the dashboard then the dashboard will fail to load because login to the RemoteApp session will fail, you can find the invalid logins in the security log.

The simple answer is not to save credentials for anything other than the launchpad. This is a little irritating. You could work around this by using an rdp connection app to save the credentials outside the windows credential cache. Or you could just live with having to provide the password each time you rdp into the server.

If you have a problem go to the credential manager and remove all saved credentials (generic and windows) for the server. Then attempt to connect with the launchpad again, it should now connect.

• Marked as answer by Wraith3 Monday, December 24, 2012 1:23 PM
    Monday, December 24, 2012 1:23 PM
  • Hi,

I’m glad to hear that you have resolved the issue and thanks for sharing your solution in the forum. If there is anything else I can do for you, please do not hesitate to let me know and I will be very happy to help.

Best Regards,

Andy Qi

Andy Qi
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, December 25, 2012 2:06 AM