Remote Desktop - Error Code 00000197, 10 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

When trying to Connect to a Live Mesh Remote Desktop I receive error code 00000197, 10
    I have no problems with Live Mesh Folders
    Any Ideas?
    Friday, July 18, 2008 2:01 PM

Answers

• Hi,

This error may indicate that you are attempting a remote connection through a proxy that requires authentication.  Unfortunately, Live Mesh does not support remote connections through authenticated proxies.

I hope that helps,

Ben.
    • Proposed as answer by GuyWithDogs Friday, July 18, 2008 9:06 PM
    • Marked as answer by Chimsokoma Saturday, July 19, 2008 10:58 AM
    Friday, July 18, 2008 7:58 PM

All replies

• Hi,

This error may indicate that you are attempting a remote connection through a proxy that requires authentication.  Unfortunately, Live Mesh does not support remote connections through authenticated proxies.

I hope that helps,

Ben.
    • Proposed as answer by GuyWithDogs Friday, July 18, 2008 9:06 PM
    • Marked as answer by Chimsokoma Saturday, July 19, 2008 10:58 AM
    Friday, July 18, 2008 7:58 PM
  • Ben,

Yes, that is the case - Thanks Neil
    Saturday, July 19, 2008 10:57 AM
  • Is livemesh going to offer proxy auth support in the future?  I'm having the same issue.  I'm behind a corp. proxy and firewall environment that is very restrictive.  It only allows http/https, with proxy side DNS lookups, and the out route to the internet is via the proxy.  It would be nice to use mesh through this type of setup. 
    Wednesday, August 6, 2008 4:10 PM
  • Hi ebm1024,

I'm afraid I'm unable to say whether Live Mesh will support remote connections through authenticated proxies in the future, but we have been seeing a few people requesting this in various places (e.g., our Wish List), and we're listening closely to these requests.  I'll add your vote for this feature to our internal list of suggestions.

Thanks,

Ben.
    Wednesday, August 6, 2008 5:12 PM
  • I would be very happy if you added this functionality.  Count my vote too!

Thursday, August 7, 2008 2:07 PM
  • +1 for authentication through a proxy please
    Wednesday, August 13, 2008 12:45 AM
  • I would really like to see authenticated proxies supported because I need access to my PC particularly from work.
    Thursday, August 21, 2008 11:37 PM
  •  Count this as another request for this feature to be implemented!
    Friday, August 29, 2008 8:39 PM
  • Gotta be another vote for it here, conencting from the work laptop would make life much easier! Thats where I spend most of my time where I would like to be able to connect to the PC at home
    Brian Farnhill
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    http://pointstoshare.spaces.live.com
    Monday, September 8, 2008 6:50 AM
  •  Another vote for this feature! :)
    Monday, September 8, 2008 10:27 AM
  • and count my vote as well, please, and the three other techs that I work with...
    Wednesday, September 10, 2008 6:51 PM
  • I don't get it. Isn't the 90% case for the use of Live Mesh someone with (at a minimum) one PC at home and one PC at work (behind an authenticating proxy)? I don't see how Mesh could NOT support proxies. Am I missing something?
    Saturday, September 13, 2008 5:36 PM
  • Me too. Mesh is pretty useless without this, unless I buy another home.
    Friday, October 3, 2008 1:32 PM
  • Another vote for this one since connecting from the office is the thing that would make this a winner!
    Wednesday, October 8, 2008 12:39 PM
  • +1

For Mesh to become something that people say "it just works", then the authenticated proxy scenario really ought to be supported!

Tuesday, October 14, 2008 11:34 PM
  • +1

this is a must feature.
    Sunday, October 19, 2008 5:46 AM
  • This is an essential feature if Mesh is going to function as intended. Please, please, please add it soon!
    Monday, October 27, 2008 5:34 PM
  • +1

support remote connections through authenticated proxies
    Thursday, October 30, 2008 2:38 PM
  • Another vote for this feature. I think most people who use it are behind proxies requiring authentication.
    Monday, November 10, 2008 8:32 AM
  • Have to disagree. There are lots of people who don't have this issue. I think it's a feature that needs to be added to function in more corporate environments, but lots of places don't have the authenticating proxies. I'm still waiting to see what the corporate reaction to this product is going to be - there have already been a few people here wanting to know how to prevent Live Mesh from being installed on corporate machines, and how to disable either the remote access or the file sharing features. From a business perspective, the ease with which a user could open up access to a machine behind a corporate firewall is sort of scary.
    Monday, November 10, 2008 7:05 PM
  • + 1 Vote for Auth Proxy support.

As a network technician/administrator for a school, I would like to see support for remote desktop across authenticated servers. I understand the risk for accessing a computer from home, but we also run a gateway. Still you will only be able to get access to our network if you have a domain account, and as far as security goes, you will still only be able to see your files. This is no different to using LogMeIn which several do. If it is implemented I agree with the guy above with the dogs, there should be suitable security to disable this on a domain or via firewall altogether. I like the feature and believe it would finally enable noobs things professionals have been doing for years. Having access to files from whereever they are without the need to carry around USB sticks or other devices/media.

Anyway. too early for me and I'm blabbering a bit. I know what I mean though. ;-)
    Thursday, December 11, 2008 10:13 AM
  •  Bump! Just had 00000197, 10 code.
    +1 to Auth Proxy Support.

GuyWithDogs, you can prevent live mesh from working denying network access to executables from windows firewall or directly to the proxy.. right? Installation would be useless then.
    Thursday, January 15, 2009 11:47 AM
  • My vote (+1), and the vote of all my team (+23) we need this feature :)
    Friday, January 16, 2009 1:52 PM
  • +1 for this..
    i can´t wait to see this working =\

i got the same error

cya
    Thursday, February 12, 2009 5:24 PM
  • The same here!

I really want that feature, in all windows product (ex: in the remote desktop tool include with Xp and Vista).

How and where to sign for? Sorry I'm new here.

Bye.
    Monday, May 11, 2009 9:32 AM
  • The same here!

I really want that feature, in all windows product (ex: in the remote desktop tool include with Xp and Vista).

How and where to sign for? Sorry I'm new here.

Bye.
    No need to apologize - see this post:

Live Mesh Beta: Suggestions - Go cast your vote!

-steve

Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator
    Monday, May 11, 2009 1:19 PM
  • +1 for authenticated proxy support. Thanks!
    - Greg
    Wednesday, July 8, 2009 7:28 PM
  • +1 for authenticated proxy support. This discussion has been going for over 12 months now and hasnt been resolved so it probably never will.
    Monday, August 31, 2009 8:41 PM
  • Add my vote for this issue also
    Wednesday, September 9, 2009 1:09 AM
  • FYI, Anyone on Office 2010 using sharepoint is required to setup a local proxy to upload files to Sharepoint due to a bug in Office 2010. Setup is like this 127.0.0.1 with bypass *.* This causes a remote desktop error of 00000000, 0 in Live Mesh and will not allow remote access to connect. This is a pain to change it back and forth. This is not an authenticated proxy.
    Vote for Freedom - Vote to Protect our Country
    Thursday, September 10, 2009 6:04 PM
  • Thanks for that information, Jbenisek.
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare, Live Mesh, & MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator
    Friday, September 11, 2009 3:27 PM
  • +1 for authenticated proxy support. Well, may be somehow it could be done...
    Wednesday, December 30, 2009 8:25 AM
  • 18 months on, the problem remains ... Do you think that Microsoft ever reads these ? By now, I would have expected either a fix or an answer when the fix was to be available or even a reason why they couldn't or were not going to do so ... Cummon MS, stick yer head above the parapit !

Wednesday, January 27, 2010 12:18 PM
  • 18 months on, the problem remains ... Do you think that Microsoft ever reads these ? By now, I would have expected either a fix or an answer when the fix was to be available or even a reason why they couldn't or were not going to do so ... Cummon MS, stick yer head above the parapit !

We're waiting for a new version. Yes, Microsoft reads these posts and the bug reports and the suggestions. All are taken into consideration when design decisions are made and development undertaken, though the results may not be what we desire.
    -steve
    ~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Wednesday, January 27, 2010 2:23 PM
  • +1,
    My mesh could not work without authenticated proxy support.
    However, why not only say Remote desktop sessions here? File synchronization session need it too.

Windows 7 SDET - https://techbao.spaces.live.com
    Sunday, January 31, 2010 7:44 AM