none
How do you read SyncToy 2.1 log files (.dat extension) RRS feed

• Question

• Just setup SyncToy 2.1 for automated execution via Task Scheduler, and it works great.

Now I need to know how to read the log files it creates. They have a .dat extension and nothing I've tried to open them with gives me anything readable.
    Rich
    Monday, December 14, 2009 2:38 AM

Answers

• Hi Rich,
           You can find the log file "SyncToyLog.log" from: On Windows Vista\win7: %LOCALAPPDATA%\Microsoft\SyncToy\2.0\, On Windows XP: "%USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\SyncToy\2.0\". Or derictly read it through SyncToy UI: File--> View Log.

Thanks,
    Ping

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    • Proposed as answer by Ping Lu Monday, December 14, 2009 3:46 AM
    • Marked as answer by Yunwen BaiModerator Monday, December 14, 2009 11:49 PM
    Monday, December 14, 2009 3:46 AM

All replies

• Hi Rich,
           You can find the log file "SyncToyLog.log" from: On Windows Vista\win7: %LOCALAPPDATA%\Microsoft\SyncToy\2.0\, On Windows XP: "%USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\SyncToy\2.0\". Or derictly read it through SyncToy UI: File--> View Log.

Thanks,
    Ping

• Proposed as answer by Ping Lu Monday, December 14, 2009 3:46 AM
    • Marked as answer by Yunwen BaiModerator Monday, December 14, 2009 11:49 PM
    Monday, December 14, 2009 3:46 AM
  • Thanks Ping. I just found it and came back here to say "never mind" and saw your post.

I guess the .dat files are the setup for each sync pair then. I'm all set now.

Rich
    Monday, December 14, 2009 3:51 AM
  • You are welcome!
    .dat files are:
  • At the root of each of the folders associated with a folder pair is a marker file with the following naming convention: SyncToy_[ID].dat. ID is a unique identifier to allow SyncToy to locate each root folder being synchronized. The marker files are used to enable the dynamic drive letter assignment feature.
  • Thanks,
    Ping

Monday, December 14, 2009 4:00 AM