Unable to Uninstall Beta PP1 RRS feed

• Question

• Just relaised that i never uninstalled PP1 beta and want to install the proper PP1

But...

Is there a way to manaully unistall the beta PP1 - not listed in the add remove dialog (updates shown)

I think when i was spring cleaning my server as system drive was running out of space i cleared out all the unistall info from the windows directory - need the space back

Tried installing the proper pp1 but it says that pp1 is already installed - grrr

Any ideas how i can get round this??

Ta

Tim

8 pata, 3 sata, 2tb storage, 2 pci controller cards for pata, 2gig ram - home bake system
    Wednesday, December 10, 2008 4:38 PM

All replies

• Spider10 said:

Just relaised that i never uninstalled PP1 beta and want to install the proper PP1

But...

Is there a way to manaully unistall the beta PP1 - not listed in the add remove dialog (updates shown)

I think when i was spring cleaning my server as system drive was running out of space i cleared out all the unistall info from the windows directory - need the space back

Tried installing the proper pp1 but it says that pp1 is already installed - grrr

Any ideas how i can get round this??

Ta

Tim

8 pata, 3 sata, 2tb storage, 2 pci controller cards for pata, 2gig ram - home bake system

This is a long shot, but it might work:  temporarily set up another instance of WHS (for example, in a VM).  Install all of the updates (including the final version of PP1).  Once it's done, copy the folder called $NtUninstallKB944289$ (inside C:\WINDOWS) from your temp WHS to your real one, then try uninstalling the beta version of PP1 from your real server.

The only other option is Server Reinstallation.
    Wednesday, December 10, 2008 4:44 PM
  • If it's not listed in Add/Remove Programs, that means you scrubbed the required registry entries in addition to the uninstall folder. I think your best bet is honestly going to be a server reinstallation, because I don't think kariya21's suggestion will recreate those entries, so you still won't have the ability to uninstall.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, December 10, 2008 5:03 PM
  • Ken Warren said:

If it's not listed in Add/Remove Programs, that means you scrubbed the required registry entries in addition to the uninstall folder. I think your best bet is honestly going to be a server reinstallation, because I don't think kariya21's suggestion will recreate those entries, so you still won't have the ability to uninstall.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

I forgot the last part:  once you copy it over to your real server, open C:\WINDOWS\$NtUninstallKB944289$\spuninst and run spuninst.exe to hopefully uninstall it.  (But, as I said before, it probably won't work.)
    Wednesday, December 10, 2008 5:17 PM