Stupid Microsoft MCP website login process? RRS feed

• Question

• I am a microsoft certified professional and have a Microsoft account. I am trying to log into the http://www.microsoft.com/mcp/

After I use the correct user name and password, I got the page (the screenshoot is attached) which asked me whethe I have a account and I need to click the "Singout" to sign in again? why I need to signout to sign in again?  

Wat is wrong with the web site and page? 

• Edited by SZ99 Thursday, October 25, 2012 1:48 AM
    Thursday, October 25, 2012 1:46 AM

Answers

• There is an ongoing issue with accessing the MCP/MCT site when already logged into Windows Live. Most of us think it's a bug however Microsoft states that "It's a security measure to ensure that only authorised people can access the site".  The same issue occurs when trying to access the MSDN/Technet Subscriber download sites.

Frustrating :-)

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer

Jeff Wharton
    MSysDev (C.Sturt), MDbDsgnMgt (C.Sturt), MCT, MCPD, MCSD, MCITP, MCDBA
    Blog: Mr. Wharty's Ramblings
    Twitter: @Mr_Wharty
    MC ID: Microsoft Transcript

Sunday, October 28, 2012 10:53 PM
  • Try using private browsing in Firefox or inPrivate browsing in Internet Explorer.
    Monday, October 29, 2012 5:18 AM

All replies

• This has happened to me in the past. I fixed it by clearing the cookies in the browser.

Thursday, October 25, 2012 6:35 AM
  • Try to use Internet Explorer instead of Firefox. As far as I know, several Microsoft website are only compatible with Internet Explorer.

Hope that help :)

Aris Lesmana | IT Technical Trainer | http://arhiez.net
    MVP Profile | Facebook | LinkedIn | Twitter

Friday, October 26, 2012 8:45 AM
  •  Clearing cookies doesn't work as well, IE has the same results.

However, if I signed into my hotmail account at first, and open the http://www.microsft.com/mcp/ again, I can get into my MCP page.

Sunday, October 28, 2012 10:35 PM
  • There is an ongoing issue with accessing the MCP/MCT site when already logged into Windows Live. Most of us think it's a bug however Microsoft states that "It's a security measure to ensure that only authorised people can access the site".  The same issue occurs when trying to access the MSDN/Technet Subscriber download sites.

Frustrating :-)

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer

Jeff Wharton
    MSysDev (C.Sturt), MDbDsgnMgt (C.Sturt), MCT, MCPD, MCSD, MCITP, MCDBA
    Blog: Mr. Wharty's Ramblings
    Twitter: @Mr_Wharty
    MC ID: Microsoft Transcript

Sunday, October 28, 2012 10:53 PM
  • Try using private browsing in Firefox or inPrivate browsing in Internet Explorer.
    Monday, October 29, 2012 5:18 AM
  • Microsoft has updated its MCP website on 8 November 2012. This error has gone now.
    • Edited by SZ99 Friday, November 9, 2012 1:07 AM
    Friday, November 9, 2012 1:06 AM
  • Microsoft has updated its MCP website on 8 November 2012. This error has gone now.

It is November 9, 2012, and I also (still) have the problem. The website only shows me a "Sign out" icon, and doesn't allow me to login.

I am able to login to the website using the Google Chrome browser, but not Internet Explorer 9. Although I can do most things with the Chrome browser on the website, some tools do not seem to function well with the browser, so I really want to login using Internet Explorer.

I find it very strange that a Microsoft website only works with 3rd party browsers.... The MCP website clearly needs some work.

Friday, November 9, 2012 10:58 AM
  • Sorry to say but the error persist and I have spent over 5 hours now trying different fixes. How can Microsoft site, that too for its professionals could be so amateur? I notice the issue is persisting for almost a year.
    Tuesday, August 6, 2013 8:08 AM
  • I too am still having the above mentioned problem.  I cannot get past the "logout" status on the IE page.  Yes, I have cleared cache, etc. 

It works perfectly in Firefox.  

It is indeed frustrating.  What is the trigger that prevents it from presenting a nice simple Login screen?????

Thursday, August 8, 2013 5:53 PM