Outlook 2003 Product ID Invalid/ RRS feed

• Question

• This is my first time posting, so please forgive me if I make newbie mistakes, like giving too much information. 

I'm trying to initiate a support session through support.microsoft.com.  The site is asking for the product identification number.  After entering it, I'm told "The product ID number you entered is not valid or is not in the correct format. Please enter a valid product ID number and try again. Make sure the product ID number is of the form: 12345-XXX-7654321-98765."  The ID number is correctly formatted, but it *IS* an OEM version.  Is the OEM version unsupported?  If so, there's no mention of that on the page.  Outlook has been activated, but just to be sure, I went through the Office validation process, but I still have the same problem.  In case it helps, this machine has XP Pro w/SP2, and Office Basic Ed.

Or, could this be another symptom of the existing problem?  Outlook will not receive email, and gives an 0x80042108 error when McAfee Proxy Service is running.  If the Proxy Service is stopped, Outlook works fine.  McAfee says "it's a well-documented Outlook configuration problem", but they absolutely would not tell me how to correct it; they simply said I had to talk to Microsoft Support.

Any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated.  Please copy replies to the address below.

Jeff

jbkerner@wavecable.com

Saturday, November 3, 2007 5:02 PM

Answers

•  

Jb,

Please run the MGA Diagnostic test and provide us with the results. In turn we will analyz your problems and formulate a resolution.

Download and run the utility at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012 , then click the Windows tab, Copy to Clipboard, then paste the report into a New Post on this Forum.

Step 2 is tell us about the COA. Tell us:

1. What edition of Windows XP is it for, Home, Pro, or Media Center?
    2. Does it read "OEM Software" or "OEM Product" in black lettering?
    3. Or, does it have the computer manufacturer's name in black lettering?
    4. DO NOT post the Product Key.
    5. Please also provide a short description of the issue you are experiencing.

NOTE: The data collected with the Genuine Diagnostics Tool does NOT contain any information that can personally identify you and can be fully reviewed, by you, before being posted.

Thank you,

Stephen Holm, MS

Wednesday, November 7, 2007 10:47 PM