New NIC, Federation not working. No error anywhere. RRS feed

• Question

• Our demonstration environment got upgraded. As part of that I had to replace the NIC on the OCS EDGE Server.

Nothing has changed in the IP address setup, only a new network card was added (removing an old one).

Now federation is totally broken. All I get for days is "presence unknown". Opening calls from both sides fails. This is validated - i have a MSN contact for myself that is trying to connect to my demo environment contact, and it just does not work.

There is NO (!) error message or warning message in any log at all, neither on the OCS Server, nor on the edge server. Federation services online management shows the service to be active. I am totally lost on that.

Is there any sensible log file? A way to see what may go wrong? I start being at a total loss.

All i see is a lot of proper starting for the federation. No other logfile is available. Still, presence information is not properly set, and communication is impossible. Anyone an idea?

Tuesday, May 27, 2008 7:08 AM

All replies

• You mentioned that Federation was effected but then talk about testing from an MSN contact, which is actually PIC (Public IM Connectivity).

Are both services (Federation and PIC) failing or just PIC? Do Yahoo and AIM contacts have the same problem? Do you have any federated connections as well?

Tuesday, May 27, 2008 12:48 PM
  • Oh, sorry.

Just PIC - we do not have a federation partner outside of PIC.

And - YAHOO and AIM contacts we also do not have. This is our test/demo environment, noone did put up another contact.

Any logfiles I could use? I am totally at a loss here as there is NOTHING that even shows an error or miss of connectivity or anything.

Tuesday, May 27, 2008 6:25 PM
  • Have you rerun the EDGE Configuration Wizard?

I would definately do some debugging.  Create a new debug session and use the snooper tool (resource kit) to look at the sip messages on your EDGE Server

Wednesday, May 28, 2008 10:05 PM
  • I just reran it. Nothing changed. In the manager applet in mmc (in computer management), Staus page, I see TWO (!) red marks:

* General Settings / Clearing house

* External User Access / Federated Contacts

Under "Federation and Public IM / Public IM Connectivity" all three are enabled.

I have now started OcsLogger, with all flags set. Is that how I should do it? Otherwise some step by step would be NICE. Resource kit is installed. OcsLogger running on desktop,

What do I do now?

Thursday, May 29, 2008 5:38 AM
  • You must creat a new Debug Session on the EDGE Server

Right Click "Office Communication Server 2007" in Computer Management on your EDGE server and select Logging Tool and Start a New Debug Session

Select S4 and Sipstack in the list and start the logging

Test your scenario on your client IM to PIC User

Stop the logging and Click on Analyze Logfiles (this needs snooper on the EDGE Server installed with resource kit)

Check out the red lines to see if you can find errors and more information in the right pane

Thursday, May 29, 2008 9:34 PM