FTP and/or WebDAV on Vail? RRS feed

• Question

• 1. Will Windows Home Server "Vail" Support FTP or WebDAV inside IIS?

2. Have anyone experience with this on Vail?

3. If not not not, what can be set up else?

Regards.

Frederik Smith

Thursday, October 21, 2010 6:43 PM

Answers

• WHS serves up files over the internet just as well as FTP only with a web-based UI. Why do you need to run webdav on WHS? Just setup sharepoint foundation 2010 if you want some good webdav/IIS action ;)
    • Marked as answer by Frederik Smith Thursday, October 28, 2010 6:00 AM
    Saturday, October 23, 2010 7:47 AM

All replies

• WebDAV and FTP are available as extensions for IIS 7.5 (the version of IIS used by Vail) but they will not be installable/configurable through the Dashboard, so using them will be unsupported.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, October 21, 2010 11:12 PM
  • 1. Will Windows Home Server "Vail" Support FTP or WebDAV inside IIS?

2. Have anyone experience with this on Vail?

3. If not not not, what can be set up else?
    What I do is have a machine on my network, known to WHS, that allows remote login. If (on the WHS remote login screen) I select to allow this remote machine to use the files of the local client machine, then in the RDP session I have both the file system of the remote machine and the file system of the local machine. The file system of the remote machine includes the files on my WHS.

Of course this requires a machine on my home network (in addition to WHS) that is always on. For me this is no problem because both this machine and my WHS are virtual machines on my HTPC, so I have only one physical machine that needs to be running 24/7.

David Wilkinson | Visual C++ MVP
    Saturday, October 23, 2010 4:58 AM
  • WHS serves up files over the internet just as well as FTP only with a web-based UI. Why do you need to run webdav on WHS? Just setup sharepoint foundation 2010 if you want some good webdav/IIS action ;)
    • Marked as answer by Frederik Smith Thursday, October 28, 2010 6:00 AM
    Saturday, October 23, 2010 7:47 AM