About Gmail Drive... RRS feed

• Question

• GMail Drive is a free namespace extension ("add-on") for Microsoft Windows. It allows a user to access a virtual drive stored in a Gmail e-mail account by causing the contents of the Gmail account to appear as a new network share on the user's workstation. In order to use this add-on, the user needs a Gmail e-mail account. The add-on enables the user to use the standard Windows desktop file copy and paste commands to transfer files to and from the Gmail account as if it was a drive on the user's computer.

Function

For GMail Drive to operate, your computer must be connected to the Internet and must have access to Gmail. A broadband connection is preferable though not necessary. GMail Drive uses the inbox of your Gmail account to store files and creates a virtual filesystem on top of your Google GMail account, enabling you to save and retrieve files stored on your GMail account directly from inside Windows Explorer. GMail Drive literally adds a new drive to your computer under the My Computer folder, where you can create new folders, copy and drag'n'drop files to.

When you create a new file using GMail Drive, it generates an e-mail and posts it to your account. The e-mail appears in your normal Inbox folder, and the file is attached as an e-mail attachment. Gmail Drive periodically checks the mail account (using the Gmail search function) to see if new files have arrived and to rebuild the virtual drive's directory structures.

Multiple computers can connect to one Gmail account thus allowing GMail Drive to act as a multi-user file server.

Consequently, restrictions on the Gmail service are also enforced when using Gmail Drive. For example, users are not able to upload files greater than 10 MB[citation needed]. In the past, Gmail also prevented users from transferring certain file types, such as an executable or zip archive. Some users bypassed this restriction by renaming the file extension or by putting it into a rar or 7zip archive.

Monday, March 19, 2007 3:36 AM

Answers

• hey varun,

7zip archive may work, but rar doesn't work. for sure. i've tested it. moreover, you can't upload web-executable files such as files of asp.net or php.

Monday, March 19, 2007 9:50 AM
  • That can be the case.. but from last few dayz i m not able to see any files in my gmail drive... though they are in my mail a/c i m not able to see them in the drive... even when i create a new folder over there at the same moment, that folder is also not visible... wat can be the possible reason???
    Monday, March 19, 2007 1:07 PM
  • gmail might have changed its scripts. that's why it occurs.
    Monday, March 19, 2007 7:38 PM
  • I think you are completely right... I just found the final version of gmail drive 11.1.1 which is running perfectly... all my files are viewable now and guess wat the speed of loading has also increased compared to last time... its working too good now...
    Tuesday, March 20, 2007 3:29 AM
  • this definitely means that they've changed their scripts. that's why, it has started working now.
    Tuesday, March 20, 2007 4:32 AM
  • Gmail changes its scripts on a regular basis.. hence gmailFS should also be upgraded regularly...
    Wednesday, May 23, 2007 5:19 PM
  • I suggest you all to encrypt the files and please dont put anything of great value on the drive. Since Gmail changes its scripts on a regular basis, tomorrow, we may not have a good extension for accessing our files and my lose it. All in all, Gmail Drive is something new and innovative. I think the days of free web storage are finally here.

Thursday, May 24, 2007 4:09 AM
  • Ya that happened once to me.. one day when i logged into the gmail drive.. it showed nothing.. i mean it was empty.. but after a week or so i realised that the scripts were changed.. so still i had the data.. So dont worry about the data.. it will stay their as it is.. because whatever you upload in the gmail drive gets uploaded to your mail A/c and stays there.. so you have the data all the time...

Also tried this, if you delete the data from the mail than the data is lost in the drive, because drive only gives you a better access to those files, but its only a interface between you and your files on gmail...
    Thursday, May 24, 2007 9:36 AM
  • Due to changes in the script , I was unable to login.. I didn't know abt the change in scripts then.. So i mailed the GmailFs person, abt the login problem. only from his reply , i was able to come to know that gamil scripts are changed regularly...
    Thursday, May 24, 2007 10:47 AM
  • So now tha we all know, lets enjoy GmailDrive and whenever we cant access our files, that means its time to change the scripts.

What will Google think of next?

Thursday, May 24, 2007 11:37 PM
  • Well google has already thought of all this.. actually this all are the small part of the big project GooOs.. which is expected to be out by 2010... So the Googles new OS will be the next big thing...
    Friday, May 25, 2007 3:26 AM

All replies

• hey varun,

7zip archive may work, but rar doesn't work. for sure. i've tested it. moreover, you can't upload web-executable files such as files of asp.net or php.

Monday, March 19, 2007 9:50 AM
  • That can be the case.. but from last few dayz i m not able to see any files in my gmail drive... though they are in my mail a/c i m not able to see them in the drive... even when i create a new folder over there at the same moment, that folder is also not visible... wat can be the possible reason???
    Monday, March 19, 2007 1:07 PM
  • gmail might have changed its scripts. that's why it occurs.
    Monday, March 19, 2007 7:38 PM
  • I think you are completely right... I just found the final version of gmail drive 11.1.1 which is running perfectly... all my files are viewable now and guess wat the speed of loading has also increased compared to last time... its working too good now...
    Tuesday, March 20, 2007 3:29 AM
  • this definitely means that they've changed their scripts. that's why, it has started working now.
    Tuesday, March 20, 2007 4:32 AM
  • Gmail changes its scripts on a regular basis.. hence gmailFS should also be upgraded regularly...
    Wednesday, May 23, 2007 5:19 PM
  • I suggest you all to encrypt the files and please dont put anything of great value on the drive. Since Gmail changes its scripts on a regular basis, tomorrow, we may not have a good extension for accessing our files and my lose it. All in all, Gmail Drive is something new and innovative. I think the days of free web storage are finally here.

Thursday, May 24, 2007 4:09 AM
  • Ya that happened once to me.. one day when i logged into the gmail drive.. it showed nothing.. i mean it was empty.. but after a week or so i realised that the scripts were changed.. so still i had the data.. So dont worry about the data.. it will stay their as it is.. because whatever you upload in the gmail drive gets uploaded to your mail A/c and stays there.. so you have the data all the time...

Also tried this, if you delete the data from the mail than the data is lost in the drive, because drive only gives you a better access to those files, but its only a interface between you and your files on gmail...
    Thursday, May 24, 2007 9:36 AM
  • Due to changes in the script , I was unable to login.. I didn't know abt the change in scripts then.. So i mailed the GmailFs person, abt the login problem. only from his reply , i was able to come to know that gamil scripts are changed regularly...
    Thursday, May 24, 2007 10:47 AM
  • So now tha we all know, lets enjoy GmailDrive and whenever we cant access our files, that means its time to change the scripts.

What will Google think of next?

Thursday, May 24, 2007 11:37 PM
  • Well google has already thought of all this.. actually this all are the small part of the big project GooOs.. which is expected to be out by 2010... So the Googles new OS will be the next big thing...
    Friday, May 25, 2007 3:26 AM
  • @Anoop, please tell us more about GooOs.

I heard that the product is ready, but Google is looking for a better time to release it in the market.

Friday, May 25, 2007 4:35 AM
  • @adnan Where is anoop in the whole thread???

About GooOS, i had already given the details in one thread.. please search for it.. it has various data from different sources.. all are good...

And as for the release.. Google has never professionally spoken a single word about it.. it is the speculation from outsiders... But still a strong speculation...
    Friday, May 25, 2007 7:35 AM