Raid 5 2TB limit with WHS2011? RRS feed

• Question

• My WHS 2011 installation has a 320G system drive and four 2TB data drives.  I want to put all the data drives in a RAID-5 array using the Disk Management utility of WHS2011.  When I do that the maximum partition size is 2TB.  How do I get the OS to see 6TB (8TB-2TB for parity)? 
    Wednesday, June 22, 2011 6:17 PM

Answers

• Are you saying that you are using OS software RAID? I did mine through the Intel chipset and the OS just accepted the 6TB RAID set.

Wednesday, June 22, 2011 6:32 PM

All replies

• Are you saying that you are using OS software RAID? I did mine through the Intel chipset and the OS just accepted the 6TB RAID set.

Wednesday, June 22, 2011 6:32 PM
  • My WHS 2011 installation has a 320G system drive and four 2TB data drives.  I want to put all the data drives in a RAID-5 array using the Disk Management utility of WHS2011.  When I do that the maximum partition size is 2TB.  How do I get the OS to see 6TB (8TB-2TB for parity)? 

Have you looked at this as a solution?

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/hardware/gg463524

Wednesday, June 22, 2011 7:03 PM

Yes, I am using the software RAID.  I assume that is acceptable, is it not?
    Wednesday, June 22, 2011 10:02 PM

Have you looked at this as a solution?

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/hardware/gg463524

I have confirmed that all of my 2TB data drives are designated as GPT.

Wednesday, June 22, 2011 10:03 PM
  • If you are saying that, after you build your array, Windows Home Server 2011 is forcing multiple partitions on the array when you initialize it rather than a single larger one, I believe this is by design, to make it possible to back up a disk using server backup (which supports backing up a maximum of 2TB).
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Proposed as answer by Ken Warren Thursday, June 23, 2011 4:39 AM
    Thursday, June 23, 2011 4:39 AM

Yes, I am using the software RAID.  I assume that is acceptable, is it not?
    No matter that it's supplied, and works, it's also quite slow. So "acceptable", perhaps. "Recommended", not so much. :)
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, June 23, 2011 4:40 AM
  • Clarification needed on this thread.  I have hardware Raid running on my system with 4TB.  Is the recommendation to have to 2TB partitions defined for backup?
    Thursday, June 23, 2011 7:23 PM
  • Yes, but you will not be able to automatically back up both of those partitions, as the maximum backup is 2TB. What you can do is backup one of your 2TB partitions, remove the backup drive and then backup the second to a second backup drive (assuming you have more than 2TB in total on the 2 partitions). If less than 2TB, both partitions can be backed up to a single external drive.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Thursday, June 23, 2011 8:02 PM

I gave up and went with the hardware RAID as you suggested and I got the expected 6TB.
    Thursday, June 23, 2011 11:20 PM