Having trouble rebuilding PC after HD crash. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm trying to rebuild a XP Home PC after a HD crash but the key I'm using is not working.

The PC was originally purchased from PC World I think - its a Medion.  There is a key on the side of the case for Windows XP Home Edition and I have the original Medion recovery disk.

The problem is that I can't use the key on the side of the case to activate the new XP home install but I don't have any other key to use i.e. no paperwork.  What am I doing wrong?

Further, I own a XP Pro PC originally built by Demonite but I notice the key on the side of the case differs from the key displayed in MGDIAG utility.  Any ideas?

Any guidance will be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Dan
    Wednesday, May 30, 2007 9:29 PM

Answers

• Dan,

Why can't you use the Key from the COA?  Do you receive an error and if so what is the error? 

Stephen Holm, MS

OGA And WGA Forum Manager

Wednesday, May 30, 2007 10:27 PM
  • Hi Dan,
    On your Medion, without the make/model, it's tough to provide much support.  I can only guess/hope these apply to you:

Many Medion's I've used (usually from UK users) are factory installed with multiple partitions and the Recovery CD requires this structure in order to perform a fresh re-install.  I cannot determine if this is your case.

If you have two CD's, one for XP Home and another labeled "Applications and Support CD", you should try booting off the Applications and Support CD first, go through options to MS-DOS Prompt, then type:
    A:\> fdisk /mbr

This will delete any data in the master boot record of your new drive, which can hamper the Medion recovery process.  After this, simply reboot your PC again with the "Applications and Support CD", and this time select the option for "Setup Recovery"- as this will prepare your new HD with the required partions for the recovery cd process, and follow the prompts.

On your second PC, does it have a different version of Windows than shown on the sticker? (i.e. XP Home sticker but XP Pro installed?).

Wednesday, May 30, 2007 11:12 PM
  • Danoruk,

It is expected behavior for a major manufacturer Product Key to not automatically activate over the internet.  Typically Recovery CD installations are pre-activated.

Have you tried to conduct a Telephonic Activation?

Thursday, May 31, 2007 1:41 AM

All replies

• Dan,

Why can't you use the Key from the COA?  Do you receive an error and if so what is the error? 

Stephen Holm, MS

OGA And WGA Forum Manager

Wednesday, May 30, 2007 10:27 PM
  • Hi Dan,
    On your Medion, without the make/model, it's tough to provide much support.  I can only guess/hope these apply to you:

Many Medion's I've used (usually from UK users) are factory installed with multiple partitions and the Recovery CD requires this structure in order to perform a fresh re-install.  I cannot determine if this is your case.

If you have two CD's, one for XP Home and another labeled "Applications and Support CD", you should try booting off the Applications and Support CD first, go through options to MS-DOS Prompt, then type:
    A:\> fdisk /mbr

This will delete any data in the master boot record of your new drive, which can hamper the Medion recovery process.  After this, simply reboot your PC again with the "Applications and Support CD", and this time select the option for "Setup Recovery"- as this will prepare your new HD with the required partions for the recovery cd process, and follow the prompts.

On your second PC, does it have a different version of Windows than shown on the sticker? (i.e. XP Home sticker but XP Pro installed?).

Wednesday, May 30, 2007 11:12 PM
  • Danoruk,

It is expected behavior for a major manufacturer Product Key to not automatically activate over the internet.  Typically Recovery CD installations are pre-activated.

Have you tried to conduct a Telephonic Activation?

Thursday, May 31, 2007 1:41 AM