Clarissa 12 RRS feed

• Question

• <!-- /* Font Definitions */ @font-face {font-family:"Cambria Math"; panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:roman; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:-1610611985 1107304683 0 0 159 0;} /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-unhide:no; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman","serif"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} .MsoChpDefault {mso-style-type:export-only; mso-default-props:yes; font-size:10.0pt; mso-ansi-font-size:10.0pt; mso-bidi-font-size:10.0pt;} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} -->

Missing operating system + Vista—VC

From your E-Mail description, I understand that your Notebook will not boot and gives error message "Missing Operating System".

Firstly, a note of appreciation for the efforts you put into in order to resolve the issue. 

I totally understand your concern and before proceeding further with the issue, I am glad that you have forwarded us your concerns and has given me an opportunity to assist you.

I can understand that such issues with the Notebook can be very upsetting. Please be assured that I will provide the necessary assistance to you in this regard.

"Missing operating system" is a message from the bios that it can't find the system files on the default boot drive.

Daniel, This error message may appear for one or more of the following reasons:

1) The notebook BIOS does not detect the hard drive.

2) The hard drive is physically damaged.

3) The Windows Master Boot Record (MBR) located on the hard drive is corrupted.

4) The partition or section of the hard drive containing the Windows MBR is no longer active.

To isolate and resolve the issue, I recommend you to remove and reseat the hard drive once and perform hard drive self test.

Please refer to the below Maintenance and service manual of your notebook which is in a pdf document format. This document contains pictorial representation in removing and replacement of the hard drive of your notebook.

For your convenience, I will provide the link to download the service manual. Here is the link to download the service manual for your notebook model.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c01095493.pdf

NOTE:   Clicking the link may give an error indicating it is invalid.

Please copy and paste the entire link in a new browser window and press enter.

The above link is in .pdf format, to open the link acrobat reader application should be preinstalled in your system. Please download the software from the URL below:

http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html

NOTE: The link starts from "http" and ends with "pdf".

Clicking on the link may not open the web page.

Copy the link and Paste it in the Internet Explorer address bar and Press Enter.

NOTE:  The URL above will take you to a non HP Web site. 

HP does not control and is not responsible for information outside of the HP Website.

You can find the instructions under "Removing and Replacement" category on the service manual link on page numbers 30 & 31

After removing and replacing hard drive, if the issue exists, please perform hard drive self test by following the below given steps:

1)Restart the computer

2)At the HP Logo screen, press F10 key to enter into BIOS.

3)Using the arrow keys, navigate to Tools Menu.

4)Select HDD Self Test

5)After selecting "HDD Self Test" you can see two options

a) Short Test.

b) Long Test.

6)Please select the Long Test and then note the result after the completion of the test.

7)Once finished, navigate to Exit Menu, select "Exit Discarding Changes".

For more information on HDD Self Test, please visit the following Web site:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/genericDocument?lc=en&cc=us&docname=c00439024

NOTE:  Clicking the link may give an error indicating it is invalid.

After performing hard drive self test, if the test has passed, I recommed you to reinstall the operating system using the recovery discs.

I request you to perform the steps provided in the below web link to reinstall the operating system.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&docname=c00681978

Please get back to me with observations and results because it is important that I resolve your issue in a timely manner. I would like to add that we value your precious time and would be here round the clock to serve you.

If you have further questions, please reply to this message and we will be happy to help you.

Glad to be of Service,

More information—VC

I understand that the issue persists after performing the steps provided in our previous correspondence. I appreciation for the efforts you put into in order to resolve the issue. 

I apologize for the inconvenience caused and appreciate your patience and cooperation.

Nicholas, before I give you any suggestions it is important for me that I analyze the issue thoroughly, for which I need some more information from your side. We can then investigate the issue and find the solution. Hence I request you to provide me with the following information to accurately identify and resolve the issue.

* The exact steps that you have performed in troubleshooting the issue.

* Have you received any Error messages while performing the steps?

* At what point you are getting the error message:

* Have you deleted the Recovery partition?

* Have you created the Recovery CDs for your Notebook?

* When did the issue first occurred?

* Since how long you are experiencing the error message :

* Any other information which will help us :

*   Exact issue you are experiencing :

*  Exact error message (if any) :

*  At what point you are getting the error message :

*  Since how long you are experiencing the error message :

*  Any other information which will help us :

Please furnish me with the above information, So that I can assist you in the best possible way.

NOTE: There is a specific reason for asking you more information regarding the issue at hand. Complete knowledge of the issue will help us provide an accurate solution. Hence, we request you to provide a brief description of the issue.

Please get back to us with the requested information; I will be glad to assist you further.

Native burning + Vista—VC

<><><><><>, at this point, I would like to inform you that there is a native burning feature to burn CD/DVD on your Notebook. Hence, I request you to try to burning any data CD/DVD or music CD/DVD by using the native burn feature on your notebook. And reply back with the observation that the CD/DVD which you have burned using native burn feature is working or not.

Below is the URL, follow the step which in the URL to use built in CD/DVD burner:

http://www.vista4beginners.com/Burn-CDs-DVDs

HP does not control and is not responsible for information outside of the HP Web site.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

== To burn a disc using the Live File System format

1. Insert a writeable CD or DVD into your computer's CD or DVD recorder.

2. In the dialog box that appears, click Burn files to data disc.

3. In the Burn a Disc dialog box, type a name for this disc, and then click Next.

It might take several minutes for the disc to be formatted in the default Live File System format. When the formatting is complete, an empty disc folder opens.

4. Open the folder that contains the files you want to burn, and then drag the files into the empty disc folder.

You can copy files to the disc folder by dragging them to the disc icon or to an open disc folder. As you drag files into the disc folder, they are copied automatically to the disc.

== To burn a disc using the Mastered format

Choose the Mastered format when you need a highly compatible disc that will play in computers with an older version of Windows or in media devices such as CD and DVD players that can read digital music and video files. For more information about choosing a disc format, see Which CD or DVD format should I use?

1. Insert a writeable CD or DVD into your computer's CD or DVD recorder.

2. In the dialog box that appears, click Burn files to data disc.

3. In the Burn a Disc dialog box, type a name for this disc, and then click Show formatting options.

4. Click Mastered, and then click Next. An empty disc folder opens.

5. Open the folder that contains the files you want to burn, and then drag the files into the empty disc folder.

6. On the toolbar, click Burn to disc.

The selected files are copied to the disc. When the disc burning is complete, the disc burner tray will open and you can remove the disc. You can now use the disc in another computer or media device. This type of disc does not need to be closed.

For more information on native burning, please refer the below weblink:

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/Help/b47eb51a-ea6d-4d97-97b0-2d07a59316981033.mspx

HP does not control and is not responsible for information outside of the HP Web site.

Notebook is very slow at startup + Vista—VC

From your E-mail, I understand that, the Notebook is very slow at startup and need assistance in resolving it.

I greatly appreciate that you have forwarded your concerns and have given me a chance to assist you with this matter. Please be assured that we are here to assist you and resolving your issue is of primary importance to us and I assure you that I will assist you with the best of my resources.

Kendra, please be informed that some applications that install components into the Windows Startup sequence may cause Windows to startup slowly. Some of these applications are poorly written, and others are designed to conflict with other applications or Windows operating system components.

Therefore, in order to resolve the issue, I recommend you to perform one or more of the following procedures listed in the link provided below to identify and eliminate the applications that have a negative impact on the performance of the computer.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&docname=c00818494

Also, I suggest you to follow the steps provided in the link provided below to increase the system performance and avoid slow functioning of the Notebook.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&docname=c00816938

Hope the information provided was useful to you. If you need further assistance, please reply to this message and we will be happy to assist you further.

Office Activation--Final—VC

From your E-Mail, I understand that, when you attempt to activate Microsoft Office on your HP Pavilion dv5t-1000 CTO Notebook with the product key that is on the sticker at the back of the notebook, it recognizes as invalid.

I am glad that you have forwarded us your concerns and I assure you of my complete assistance in this regard.  

Alan, I would like to inform you that your Notebook is shipped with Microsoft Office 2007 software which is complimentary software provided by HP. This software is not provided by the demand of any customer, instead provided as an offer. HP installs trail version programs due to the agreement with Microsoft and cannot provide full version, as the manufacturer of the MS Office program is Microsoft. Once the trial version expires, user needs to convert it to full version by contacting Microsoft. This process is applicable for all the HP Laptops and Desktops.

This pre-installed Microsoft® Office 2007 software is a Student and Teacher Edition and it is a 60 Day Trial Version. The product key printed on the label at the bottom of the notebook is for Windows Vista operating system and not for Microsoft® Office. There is a separate key for Microsoft Office.

For the detailed information regarding the procedure to be followed to get the product key to activate it, I would request you to visit the link provided below:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/genericDocument?docname=c01077814&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN

==OR==

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/genericDocument?docname=c00901036&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN

As this trial version of this software expires after 60 days, you may need to activate it. For your convenience I have provided the steps below for the activation.

Please follow the below steps to resolve the Microsoft office Product key issue:

==Step 1: You may use Office without a key

NOTE: You will only be able to use office 25 times with this method.

When you launch Microsoft Office, you will be presented with a screen to enter your product key. If you cannot locate your Microsoft Office Trial product key, HP recommends following option two below. However, if you wish to continue, click on the Continue button.

You will be presented a popup reminder, that you can only run Office trial 25 times without entering a product key. Each time you launch Office, the number will count down. Once the countdown reaches 0, Microsoft Office will enter a reduced functionality mode. You will not be able to save or edit Microsoft Office files until the product key is entered.

If you wish to use Office without a product key, click the “No” button. You will now be able to use Microsoft Office Home and Student 2007 trial.

==Step 2: How to obtain a replacement key

This will activate the full 60 day trial. To register the product key for Office 2007, refer the following link to generate trial version key:

http://us1.trymicrosoftoffice.com/default.aspx?culture=en-US

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/products/HA101741481033.aspx

http://www.microsoft.com/office/pctrial2007

To convert the Microsoft Office 2007 to the full version, a full version product key is required. You can obtain the full version product key from Microsoft.

You can visit the following URL for detailed information on converting the Microsoft Office 2007 trial version to full version:

http://us20.trymicrosoftoffice.com/faq.aspx?culture=en-US

I hope the above information helps you.  However, if you need further assistance, please reply to this message. I will be glad to assist you further.

Monday, November 9, 2009 1:32 PM