DE directory blown away RRS feed

• Question

• Made a booboo. Unfamiliar with DE directory while cleaning redundant files. DE matches my initials and deleted thinking it to be a rainy day directory…. To make things worse I proceeded to cut and paste folders wholesale over the network and moved folders around from the download share to create the dev and db environment I prefer. Now get file handler errors on all my files. Any way to recover these one-of-a-kind files?

Sincerely,

DE

Monday, November 2, 2009 4:16 PM

All replies

• Based on what you say, there is a fair chance that you have lost significant amounts of data. Start by shutting down your server. Then, if you had duplication turned on for your shares:
    • Remove each drive, one at a time.
    • Look for another DE folder, on another drive, which contains copies of your files.
    • Copy the files from that drive to secure storage.
    If you didn't have duplication turned on:
    • Obtain forensic software capable of recovering deleted files. I have no specific recommendations for you, I'm afraid.
    • Recover what you can.
    Once you've recovered what you can, a new installation is your best bet.

In the future, I would recommend you pay more attention to the initial warning when you log in to your server directly or through remote desktop. :) Windows Home Server doesn't protect you at all from actions performed by the server administrator while logged in to the server.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, November 2, 2009 4:26 PM
  • That's what I thought.
    Thanks for your prompt reply.
    Get to move forward with a lighter footprint and better bkup scheme.
    It's a good laugh to my Unix buds.
    thanks
    DE

Monday, November 2, 2009 4:40 PM
  • Actually, not a laugh at all, data loss is never funny even when (as now) it's self-inflicted. And you can delete files irretrievably in Unix as well...
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, November 2, 2009 5:05 PM