OneCare - Can't Cancel Subscription - URGENT RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, My WinLive Onecare subscription is due to expire on teh 10th Feb 2008. I have tried to cancel it in so many ways and nothing seems to work. I can get on billings.microsoft.com and manage to see my subscription (and credit card details). When i try to cancel both though, i have been told to go on "help" and then "get support" and then "fill a form in"... (hereSmile
    Well: everytime I do it (no metter what browser I use or what time of the day I do it) i get this error message:

Contact Billing Support

Error!

We apologize for the inconvenience. There was an error in the submission. Please try again later.
    Tuesday, January 29, 2008 11:00 PM

Answers

•  cmoores wrote:
    It doesn't seem to get any better, I finally managed to get the form to work, emailed Microsoft telling them not to renew it, very clearly, and even though it says "You will recieve a response within 24 hours" I have had nothing for weeks, then they sent me an email saying they've renewed it anyway!!! There has to be some law against this or at least some regulation by some financial institute, it seems Microsoft are harder to escape than the Royal Marines!

You can cancel your account and obtain a refund by contacting support.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Monday, February 25, 2008 2:34 AM

All replies

• Tuesday, January 29, 2008 11:24 PM
  • Hi, thanks for replying. I should but... I don't! If I go to the link that you have provided, and the chose "live services" and the "windows live onecare" i am then been told to write in a forum... this forum!!

I am a paying customer until Feb 10th (hopefully)!.. is it possible that there are no means to call / email / fax or send a pigeon to tell you guys that I don't want you to charge my credit card...? It wasn't that difficult when I have subscribed last year.. .and i can't believe the only option is to call my bank and stop any transactions in MS name for 60 days?

Please could you be able to either get somebody to email / phone / whatever  contact me or give a contact?

Thanks,
    CR
    Tuesday, January 29, 2008 11:38 PM
  • I'm sorry. The link I provided takes you back to here - http://help.live.com/help.aspx?project=a&market=en-us

but I am able to navigate from there to cancellation. You might try deleting your cookies and temporary internet files and try again.

Tuesday, January 29, 2008 11:50 PM
  • would you be able to provide the final link then? 

the only thing i can't find is "if you want to cancel" click "more help" and then "get support",.. i do it... fill the form in... and..........

get an error?

Is it only me finding this tremendously ridiculous and probably illegal? (as I can't spend hours in finding a way for MS NOT to charge my credit card without my consens)?

Why are so many people on the internet experiencing the same problems? 

please could i have a way to contact your billing deparment in one go? (perhaps you might want to make this public, so that everybody else can achieve the same result)?

thanks
    Wednesday, January 30, 2008 12:07 AM
  • see second topic from here:
    http://help.live.com/help.aspx?project=onecarev2&market=en-GB&querytype=keyword&query=cancel

microsoft can't be serious... and furthermore.. you (I) do it and ... the form doesn't get submitted!

please could you advise?
    Wednesday, January 30, 2008 12:11 AM
  • I am having the same issue with the support site now. I suspect there is a temporary problem with the site.

Wednesday, January 30, 2008 1:06 AM
  • It doesn't seem to get any better, I finally managed to get the form to work, emailed Microsoft telling them not to renew it, very clearly, and even though it says "You will recieve a response within 24 hours" I have had nothing for weeks, then they sent me an email saying they've renewed it anyway!!! There has to be some law against this or at least some regulation by some financial institute, it seems Microsoft are harder to escape than the Royal Marines!
    Sunday, February 24, 2008 10:07 AM
  •  cmoores wrote:
    It doesn't seem to get any better, I finally managed to get the form to work, emailed Microsoft telling them not to renew it, very clearly, and even though it says "You will recieve a response within 24 hours" I have had nothing for weeks, then they sent me an email saying they've renewed it anyway!!! There has to be some law against this or at least some regulation by some financial institute, it seems Microsoft are harder to escape than the Royal Marines!

You can cancel your account and obtain a refund by contacting support.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Monday, February 25, 2008 2:34 AM
  • I have the same problem, and none of these suggestions do anything but give you the old run-around. Microsoft will take your money with the click of a button, but to cancel you have to call, make a selection from a list, be put on hold, and (in my case) wait for minutes, get a message in French, and then be dumped to a voice mail box. 

Notice the clever wording of the MVPs: You "should be able," or "you might try. . ." All of these suggestions end up placing the onus back on the poor sap who just wants to get out of an annual subscription without spending hours running down fruitless trails to do so. 

I don't think there is anything illegal with these practices, but they are unethical and deceitful. 
    Sunday, March 8, 2009 4:55 PM
  • Hello Dennis, no one is attempting to be clever or evasive. It is difficult to advise someone on a process you have not experienced yourself. As far as I know no one who tried to help in this thread has actually ever canceled a One Care subscription, hence the "should be able to" or "you might try". As Steve posted above, support can assist you with canceling your One Care subscription.
    Jim
    Sunday, March 8, 2009 5:43 PM
  • I had absolutely no problem finding the following official Microsoft Live Help link with a simple Windows Live Search:

Purchase, renew, or cancel your Windows Live OneCare subscription

http://search.live.com/results.aspx?q=Windows+Live+OneCare+cancel&mkt=en-us&FORM=IE8SRC&src=IE-SearchBox

Just click 'Cancel your OneCare subscription' within the first linked page above and it tells you what to do.  I found this within the first 10 seconds of my initial attempt on a PC that has never had OneCare installed, so no active subscription was required to find it.  The same exact link was the 5th listed item on Yahoo! Search, though Google didn't display it within the first page, which tells you how useful that search engine really is.

I don't know why so many find it so difficult to use a search engine or even the links already provided in this thread.  I found the same exact page by simply clicking the link supplied by JimR1 above, selecting Windows Live Products and Services, Windows Live OneCare, entering cancel in the Help Search box and picking the item named the same as the above.

I think that people looking for an issue will always find it rather than the result they really require.  Along the way I found dozens of other pages providing the same or similar info, so there was no lack of available options to find it, it simply didn't jump out and bite me.

OneCareBear
    Windows OneCare Forum Moderator
    Monday, March 9, 2009 6:12 AM
  • Finding the path to the links for canceling the subscription is half of the problem and it is the easier half, OneCareBear. Once you locate that information, you *must* call support to cancel. And, as we know, obtaining the support number requires that you know the LiveID for your subscription and that you are able to validate your subscription after navigating the support/help pages.
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator
    Tuesday, March 10, 2009 2:21 PM
  •  
    Stephen Boots said:

Finding the path to the links for canceling the subscription is half of the problem and it is the easier half, OneCareBear. Once you locate that information, you *must* call support to cancel. And, as we know, obtaining the support number requires that you know the LiveID for your subscription and that you are able to validate your subscription after navigating the support/help pages.
    -steve

That's what I'd assumed too.  However, I found the links above and just re-tested them while not logged into any Live ID account on a PC without OneCare (ever) installed.  The first Help page link above still displayed and contains the phone number, which also contains a 4th option pick to "Cancel a OneCare Subscription" and indicated it was "Checking for a representative to help with cancellation" when I selected it.

Unless I missed something, it appears the process has been made more open, probably in reaction to the impending end of sales of OneCare.

OneCareBear

< EDIT > I just tried the link above logged into a completely different Live ID with no Billing Account, which I also confirmed at billing.microsoft.com and it still works.  I don't know when this changed, but it apparently has, since I can't currently get it to NOT allow me to see the Support number.

Windows OneCare Forum Moderator
    Tuesday, March 10, 2009 7:30 PM
  • I can confirm that they have apparently added detailed instructions for how to cancel within the Help text at help.live.com for Windows Live OneCare that includes the phone number to call (at least within the US, I would hope that the pages for other locales are similar).
    -steve
    Wednesday, March 11, 2009 3:33 PM