video streaming changes image form factor RRS feed

• Question

• The streaming functionality of WS 2011 is great! and I accept the lack of DE for the streaming.

I have found that streaming of microsoft .dvr-ms (recorded TV on Media cneter based on XP)works fine. But files with the new format .wtv (Windows 7 Media center) always show in 4/3 even if the recording was HD (16/9), so the image is deformed (people are squezed and look very tall).

All these files have been moved to the servers discs and are streamed to Internet Explorer. Nothing fancy.

Do I miss something? How can I fix that so the videos are shown in their orginal form factor?

Thanks,

fg13a
    Thursday, September 1, 2011 6:42 PM

All replies

• I don't stream audio or video afar, but those who do have theorized that it's an issue with the Silverlight player, and possibly a result of anamorphic video that wasn't expanded, just encoded with the appropriate flags set. As a result, the actual video is still in 4:3 aspect ratio, and the Silverlight player sometimes struggles with that.

That said, I'm in favor of bugging it, even though I'd bet that Microsoft will close the bug as "won't fix".

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, September 1, 2011 6:52 PM
  • Ken,

Thanks for your comments.

I consider it as a bug because I am using 100% Microsoft software. The Media Center of Win7 is creating the file, and then I stream it using WHS2011 and Silverlight ... It is MS all the way, I don-t understand why it is not working.

How doI post it as a bug?

fg13a
    Thursday, September 1, 2011 8:59 PM
  • Correct,

I think this issue was already bugged on connect as feedback ID#653761 and 554212?
    It was closed with the remark "...we will aim to address it in the near future."

(I can only advise anyone who thinks this is important to vote for this issue)
    - Theo.

No home server like Home Server
    Thursday, September 1, 2011 9:01 PM