How low can you go? RRS feed

• Question

• OVer the last few months I have been running the beta and OEM versions on a home-brew system running an Athlon X2 4000+ processor and decided that its a bit of an overkill.

I started the beta on a Via C7 (1.2ghz) box but gave that to my daughter (who then killed it - but what the heck as the backups are on WHS ) and instaled the OEM copy to the Athlon.

My dilema is the amount of power and heat the unit takes up compared to the C7 but the only other box I have is a 500Mhz Via machine and I am unsure if this will run WHS and I want to give my friends a present (yup fed up of reloading their machines).

I'm not interested in media or streaming and not that fussed about shares either only the WHS backup function.  So the question is - what is the lowest spec you have run WHS on reliably?

I'll open with a C7 1.2Ghz mini-itx box with 1GB Ram and a 60W power supply.

Andrew
    PP1 Beta - running fine and I cannot break it...

Sunday, July 13, 2008 1:20 PM

All replies

• I'am running WHS on an old homebrew recipe of the following.

Abit KA7-100 Raid Motherboard (Purchased in 2002)

AMD Slot "A" CPU 750MHz (Purchased in 2002)

Mix & Matched Ram 100/133 1Gig  (Purchased who knows when)

Seagate 300Gig ATA100  Sys Disk (+5 years ago  out of warranty)

Seagate 500Gig ATA100  Data Disk x4 (-2 years ago in warranty until Dec 2012)

FSP group 450 Watt Power Supply

3 120mm fans w/filters in the front of the case pulling air in over the HD's and Mobo and exhausting through a dual 80mm (160mm)

Been running like this since about march of last year with NO hardware or software problems.  I have seriously TRASHED the OS and have not had any problems with it.

The only problem I had and it was not the system itself but trying to get into the system from remote, and found I needed to set my ports in the Cisco modem/router.

Prior to WHS being on this system was 2000 Advanced Server this system had been on the 24/7 lane for about 5 yrs with exception to the Hard Drives.

JD

Sunday, July 13, 2008 6:53 PM
  •  

Home brew. p3, 1.0 (overclocked to 1.2)

512 ram

500 watty power supply

100 gig drives

I stream to xbox 360 a lot, and have ha dno issues

Monday, July 14, 2008 2:54 PM
  • The latest Tranquil PC servers, use the new Atom processor from Intel, so should be quite low!

Colin

Monday, July 14, 2008 5:13 PM
  • got mine on a dual p3 600 with 512mb ram, works perfectly fine - bit slow but its ample for my needs, full specs are in my sig
    Thursday, July 17, 2008 2:05 PM
  • Mines a via c7? 700 mhz, chugging along passively cooled, 512 mb ram and one 200gig drive. so far so good. Webguide is way too slow, but otherwise shes a champ. File access is quick, backups fine, web access fine..
    Thursday, July 17, 2008 3:13 PM
  •  ColinWH wrote:

The latest Tranquil PC servers, use the new Atom processor from Intel, so should be quite low!

I've looked at these boards for a while now (here) and saw they where 1.66Ghz - quite a beast (better then my work laptop) and amazing good value for any home brewer.

I think I'll fire up the 500Mhz under the eval software for one last try

Thanks for the thoughts and answers.

Thursday, July 17, 2008 11:15 PM
  • For the past 1.5 years, I've run Beta and now OEM on a circa 2001 Mobo and 1.33 ghz 266 mhz AMD chip.

PCC Chips Mobo
    AMD Athalon 1.33 ghz 266 mhz buss
    PC 133 Ram 1.5 gb
    250watt power supply, but it does not really need half that.
    New WD 500 gb 16 mb cache drives.

Use it to play music, movies through two first gen Xboxes (using XBMC) and as a centralized storage system. Works just fine. Just Demigrator hits the cpu pretty hard most of the time. Other than that, it is plenty of power. 

I probably would not use less than a 700 mhz Chip and the more ram the better.  1 to 1.5 gig if ya got it.

Friday, July 18, 2008 1:10 AM