Can't update Windows Live Onecare for SBS 2008 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have 2 separate Small Business Server networks with Windows Live Onecare activated, some weeks ago Onecare stopped receiving updates on both servers. I've checked firewall settings, trusted sites and many other possible solutions listed on these forums, but no luck, WL Onecare is in the same contidion.

I know that WL Onecare is about end its lifecycle, but I need it working until we decide on an a alternative.

By the way, ¿is really microsoft not releasing a replacement for WL Onecare?

Any help will be appreciated.

Monday, July 27, 2009 3:34 PM

Answers

All replies

• Are you referring to the OneCare clients or the OneCare for Server on the SBS server itself?
    I'm not familiar with the actual functionality of the updates in OneCare for Server - meaning that I don't know if each client pulls the updates from the SBS Server or if each client needs to go to the OneCare servers for updates the same way that the retail version does.
    The best that I can do is refer you to the Update troubleshooting post, which I assume you have already reviewed, 

http://social.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/onecareupdate/thread/9a6a0003-b91c-4518-966c-fc50450f0e41/, or advise you to contact support.
    How to reach support (FAQ) - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/30400b52-7f26-4ba0-bc18-17e305329d90

Are there any messages telling you about update failures?
    Have you looked at the Event Logs on the affected machines?

-steve

Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare, Live Mesh, & MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator
    Monday, July 27, 2009 3:52 PM
  • Oh, and there has not been any announcement about what the transition plan for the OneCare for Server product (running on the server) might be. The clients can be updated to Microsoft Security Essentials (the free antimalware product, still in beta right now), but that won't run on the server.
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare, Live Mesh, & MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator
    Monday, July 27, 2009 3:53 PM
  • Actually, a possible option for business has been announced, though it's centered around 'cloud computing', but with client protection at its core.  Since a large portion of the cost and complexity of ForeFront has been the management piece, this might make it cost effective for smaller organizations, though we'll have to see how the pricing actually shakes out.

Below is a short excerpt from the much longer speech by Brad Anderson at the Micorosoft Management Summit:
    http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/exec/bradanderson/04-29MMSKeynote2009.mspx

"So what we've done form a System Center perspective is we've asked the Windows Update team to extend Windows Update to do things like inventory, monitoring, remote assistant, host protection. What I'm announcing today is that we are working on a product we call System Center Online Desktop Manager. Not only are we working on this, it's about to enter into a beta with a select number of customers with the general availability from a beta perspective happening later in 2009 and the release in 2010.

Now, from a System Center Online perspective, a couple of questions you're going to ask. One, what capabilities are in it? In the version 1.0 of System Center Online, you're going to have host protection. Okay? All the assets from the Forefront brand, anti-spy, antivirus, anti-malware, that security will be deeply integrated with asset intelligence inventory, remote assistant, monitoring, group policy and configuration management effectively from the cloud.

So you'll have a very basic solution that scales and is highly secure in this V1. This V1 will release in 2010. Then our intent is that we will release updates to System Center Online every six months. As a service, we'll start updating this and adding new functionality, software distribution, federation with Active Directory, delegation of authority, all the other pieces that you'll be looking for to be added into this as we continue to enhance and to enrich the solution."

Rob

• Edited by Rob KochModerator Tuesday, July 28, 2009 6:20 AM Added second sentence, minor text fixes.
    Tuesday, July 28, 2009 6:14 AM