is experience required for a particular exam RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

i am planning for Microsoft certification in share point server 2010, but professionally i have zero experience in this domain. my question is that i am eligible for the certification as i mentioned that i have zero experience in it

and which exam is the best among these two

1- SharePoint 2010, Application Development

2- SharePoint 2010, Configuration

Thanks

Monday, January 9, 2012 6:09 PM

Answers

• As per the reply from Charles, experience is not a prerequisite for sitting an exam however it's very unlikely that you will pass an exam without experience.  As for which Sharepoint exam you should take, it depends on whether you want to be a Sharepoint Developer or a Sharepoint Administrator (or both of course).

Jeff Wharton
    MSysDev (C.Sturt), MDbDsgnMgt (C.Sturt), MCT, MCPD, MCITP, MCDBA
    Blog: Mr. Wharty's Ramblings
    MC ID: Microsoft Transcript

Please mark answered if I've answered your question and vote for it as helpful to help other user's find a solution quicker
    • Proposed as answer by Anant Patil Tuesday, January 10, 2012 1:46 PM
    • Marked as answer by khan_AK Tuesday, January 10, 2012 5:21 PM
    Monday, January 9, 2012 10:34 PM

All replies

• It's not required to take an exam, but it's an obvious plus in having, especially for studying for the exam. 
    Monday, January 9, 2012 9:00 PM
    Answerer
  • As per the reply from Charles, experience is not a prerequisite for sitting an exam however it's very unlikely that you will pass an exam without experience.  As for which Sharepoint exam you should take, it depends on whether you want to be a Sharepoint Developer or a Sharepoint Administrator (or both of course).

Jeff Wharton

Please mark answered if I've answered your question and vote for it as helpful to help other user's find a solution quicker
    • Proposed as answer by Anant Patil Tuesday, January 10, 2012 1:46 PM
    • Marked as answer by khan_AK Tuesday, January 10, 2012 5:21 PM
    Monday, January 9, 2012 10:34 PM
  • As above has been explained. It is very hard to pass exams without previous experience.

If you are unable to get require / minimum experience, build Lab with Sharpoint 2010 installed. It may help you to understand Sharpoint and better prepare to exams.

Good Luck,

Bart

• Edited by BArt IT Monday, January 9, 2012 11:00 PM
    Monday, January 9, 2012 10:59 PM
  • Thanks to all of you!

Jeff please correct me if i am wrong........ as per my knowledge if some one wants to start certification it need to do first MCTS then MCPD is this correct? and second thing you are suggesting me both share point certification (developer and administrator), which certification i need to do first 

Thanks in advance

Tuesday, January 10, 2012 5:30 PM
  • Thanks to all of you!

Jeff please correct me if i am wrong........ as per my knowledge if some one wants to start certification it need to do first MCTS then MCPD is this correct? and second thing you are suggesting me both share point certification (developer and administrator), which certification i need to do first 

Thanks in advance

You need to pass the MCTS exams to get the MCPD certification.  That said, you can sit the exams in any order that you like i.e. you could sit the PRO exams before you complete the MCTS exams.

I stated thsat you should chose a certification path and what path you take depends on whether you want to be a Sharepoint Developer or Sharepoint Administrator.  You can also do both certification paths and be a Sharepoint Developer and Administrator.  Which certification you do depends on whether you know how to write code using Visual Studio.  

Jeff Wharton

Tuesday, January 10, 2012 9:29 PM
  • thanks
    Wednesday, January 11, 2012 6:34 PM