Quoting system sucks badly. RRS feed

• General discussion

• If I want to quote part of a person's post, or add inline comments, I have to quote the whole thing, the add my comments, then edit the HTML manually and add </div>, <div class="quote"> tags in there myself, so that my inline comments aren't part of the quote.

That sucks horribly.

My suggestion is you add a nice simple [quote] [/quote] tag that people can use in the regular text editor without having to wade through the dirty HTML.

In fact -- there shouldn't even be a HTML editor in the first place! This is a forum, not a website builder!

Likewise, add a [code] [/code] tag for source code and get rid of the horrible 'interactive' formatter. You can have a button that simply wraps the selected text in [code] tags if you like, that's a lot better than what we have now. Same for quotes, etc.
    Saturday, June 28, 2008 5:20 AM

All replies

• scorpion:

Personally, I think the implementation of everything associated with the Reply window is extremely poor.

But it's usable. Being able to reply (even from preview) without a page refresh is a major improvement over the old forums. I had the misfortune to have to use the forums over a phone line this weekend, and although the pages took a while to load, the Reply feature worked crisply (from preview).

David Wilkinson | Visual C++ MVP
    Monday, June 30, 2008 12:15 PM
  • Agreed, but I think some of the rich-text implementation needs a bit of work. Or perhaps lose the whole rich-text business, and just provide simple tags to use.

But then again, some forums use rich text to good effect, like vBulletin for example. So it's doable.
    Monday, June 30, 2008 12:29 PM