locked
OneCare status Fair - missing update RRS feed

  • Question

  • The status of OneCare on my system keeps going from Good to Fair.

    OneCare tells me there is a missing update available.

    The only update I see is for .Net 2.0 - Service Pack 1.

    I have downloaded and installed this update successfully 3 times so far.

    The status will be Good for one day and then change back to Fair.

     

    This seems absurd.

    Monday, February 4, 2008 11:18 PM

Answers

  • I only thought the update had been applied.  The first time I tried to download and apply this update, it failed.

    The next two times, it seemed to apply correctly in about 10 seconds, which was way too fast.

    This was not a problem with OneCare at all, but a problem trying apply an update that failed the first time.

    I have had this problem before, it just took me a while to understand what was going on.

     

    I solved this problem by going to the update site and selecting an optional software update first and then the

    .Net service pack.  Both updates were applied correctly.  The .Net update took several minutes and required a re-boot.

    I was given this idea by support sometimes last year.

     

    Thursday, February 7, 2008 2:12 AM

All replies

  • Please contact support for help with this problem. I'm not sure if OneCare doesn't realize that the update has been applied or if the update is actually failing. In either case, others have reported similar and we've referred them to support -

    How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

     

    -steve

    Tuesday, February 5, 2008 2:21 AM
    Moderator
  • I only thought the update had been applied.  The first time I tried to download and apply this update, it failed.

    The next two times, it seemed to apply correctly in about 10 seconds, which was way too fast.

    This was not a problem with OneCare at all, but a problem trying apply an update that failed the first time.

    I have had this problem before, it just took me a while to understand what was going on.

     

    I solved this problem by going to the update site and selecting an optional software update first and then the

    .Net service pack.  Both updates were applied correctly.  The .Net update took several minutes and required a re-boot.

    I was given this idea by support sometimes last year.

     

    Thursday, February 7, 2008 2:12 AM
  • Thanks for reporting back. The .Net updates do tend be problematic lately. :-( And, they also take a fair amount of time to install, so that was a good catch.

    -steve

     

    Thursday, February 7, 2008 2:57 PM
    Moderator