Bad copy of Microsoft Windows XP Pro RRS feed

• Question

• My computer crashed. I was told in order to fix it. The best way was to reinstall windows. And, to start my computer fresh. To save a few bucks. I purchased a copy of windos XP Proffesional from a Ebay member, from a working computer. I installed it on my computer. Everything went fine. Until I went to Microsoft to get the updates. Now Microsoft is telling me that my version Of windows is not a Gernuine version. I do not have a copy of the original Windows that was on my computer when I bought it. It was Microsofr Windows XP home. The sticker on the top of my computer has the Product key.

I went back to Ebay to try and find, and turn in this person for selling a Bogus copy of Microsoft Windows. But, he is no longer a member. Is there any way that I can recover the original copy, or version of my Windows, and use the product key on my computer? Without having to buy another copy?
    Friday, January 11, 2008 9:03 PM

Answers

• Hi Doug,

Unfortunately it has been found as many as 50% of the copies of Windows sold on ebay turn out to be counterfeit copies which is why we always recommend buying software from a reputable store.  If you would like to get a replacement copy of Windows that came with your computer I would suggest contacting the manufacturer of the system to get a restore CD which may be a cheaper alternative to buying a new copy of Windows.  However if you would like to use Windows XP Pro you will need to purchase a new copy.  Before you decide on purchasing a new copy however I would highly recommend submitting a piracy case with us as detailed below as you may be eligable for a free replacement copy of Windows if it is determined you were sold a high quality counterfeit disc.

Windows Genuine Advantage (WGA) is here to help protect YOU, our valued customer. It is important for more people like you, who have become victims, to report piracy @ http://www.microsoft.com/piracy/default.mspx  . Microsoft legal will follow up on all leads provided.  Submitting piracy reports will assist in stopping unscrupulous business practices. 

Again, we are sorry to hear about your situation. Please be sure to backup or otherwise offload any data from the hard disk because a clean installation/reimaging will destroy all personal user data on the hard drive. Please don't hesitate re-posting if you need further assistance.

Thank you,

Matt Prall, MS

WGA Forum Manager

Friday, January 11, 2008 9:43 PM
  • Doug 64,

Please follow these steps for assistance:

Step 1 is to run the utility at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012, then click the Windows tab, click the "Copy" button, then paste the report into a response in this thread.

Step 2 is to look on the computer or with the materials you received with the computer or with your retail purchase of  Windows to see if you have a Certificate of Authenticity (CoA).  If you have one, tell us about the CoA.  Tell us:

1.  What edition of Windows XP is it for, Home, Pro, or Media Center, or another version of Windows?

2.  Does it read "OEM Software" or "OEM Product" in black lettering?

3.  Or, does it have the computer manufacturer's name in black lettering?

4.  DO NOT post the Product Key.

Not sure what to look for?  See this page for reference:  http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/en/coa.mspx

Since you wrote that the computer has a Product Key for XP Home Edition, I think it's safe to assume (and please verify for us) that the computer may be a name brand computer that originally came with XP Home installed.  If so, to "Get Genuine" might be as simple as acquiring the Recovery CDs, backing up your data, and then using the Recovery CDs to put back the Genuine installation of XP Home the computer came with.

What make and model of computer is it?

Friday, January 11, 2008 10:30 PM

All replies

• Hi Doug,

Unfortunately it has been found as many as 50% of the copies of Windows sold on ebay turn out to be counterfeit copies which is why we always recommend buying software from a reputable store.  If you would like to get a replacement copy of Windows that came with your computer I would suggest contacting the manufacturer of the system to get a restore CD which may be a cheaper alternative to buying a new copy of Windows.  However if you would like to use Windows XP Pro you will need to purchase a new copy.  Before you decide on purchasing a new copy however I would highly recommend submitting a piracy case with us as detailed below as you may be eligable for a free replacement copy of Windows if it is determined you were sold a high quality counterfeit disc.

Windows Genuine Advantage (WGA) is here to help protect YOU, our valued customer. It is important for more people like you, who have become victims, to report piracy @ http://www.microsoft.com/piracy/default.mspx  . Microsoft legal will follow up on all leads provided.  Submitting piracy reports will assist in stopping unscrupulous business practices. 

Again, we are sorry to hear about your situation. Please be sure to backup or otherwise offload any data from the hard disk because a clean installation/reimaging will destroy all personal user data on the hard drive. Please don't hesitate re-posting if you need further assistance.

Thank you,

Matt Prall, MS

WGA Forum Manager

Friday, January 11, 2008 9:43 PM
  • Bummer, looks like I am going to look for a restore CD, check the price. If not. I will have to have someone reinstall windows for me. I got a price today for $150. Kinda crazy, my computer crash's with a genuine version of windows, now I have to buy a new one. CRAZY.
    Friday, January 11, 2008 10:25 PM
  • Doug 64,

Please follow these steps for assistance:

Step 1 is to run the utility at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012, then click the Windows tab, click the "Copy" button, then paste the report into a response in this thread.

Step 2 is to look on the computer or with the materials you received with the computer or with your retail purchase of  Windows to see if you have a Certificate of Authenticity (CoA).  If you have one, tell us about the CoA.  Tell us:

1.  What edition of Windows XP is it for, Home, Pro, or Media Center, or another version of Windows?

2.  Does it read "OEM Software" or "OEM Product" in black lettering?

3.  Or, does it have the computer manufacturer's name in black lettering?

4.  DO NOT post the Product Key.

Not sure what to look for?  See this page for reference:  http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/en/coa.mspx

Since you wrote that the computer has a Product Key for XP Home Edition, I think it's safe to assume (and please verify for us) that the computer may be a name brand computer that originally came with XP Home installed.  If so, to "Get Genuine" might be as simple as acquiring the Recovery CDs, backing up your data, and then using the Recovery CDs to put back the Genuine installation of XP Home the computer came with.

What make and model of computer is it?

Friday, January 11, 2008 10:30 PM
  • Yeah. I am just going to get a Recovery CD. Do I go to the place where I purcjased my computer? Best Buy. And do you have any Idea as to what they run?
    Saturday, January 12, 2008 12:58 AM
  • Doug 64,

Please provide the info I asked for in my last post, so I can give you the best advice.

Saturday, January 12, 2008 1:14 AM