Help with five issues RRS feed

• Question

• I am about to shove the Lacie product I purchased into a garbage can.  But maybe someone can help me with the following issues.

1) This one is my fault.  I thought I wanted to create a separate drive for music and pictures, that I would keep backed up.  So I moved all of my files to a partition I created labeled e:/.  I used the 'location ' setting in the 'My Pictures' and 'My Music' properties to point the drive that direction.  I set up a client backup from one computer and that used a folder on the same drive.  Next I tried to setup mirroring for this drive (subject of next question).  This did not work.  So I tried to undo what I had previously done.  Now everything is back to c:/, but the folders are no longer shared.  So I went in and set up sharing in the properties window, but now sign in access does not come up and apps on my desktop do not allow access.

2) Trying to mirror the drive.  It says I have to convert the drive to a dynamic disk to mirror.  But it also gives grave warnings about not being able to boot in some instances (such as dual boot).  How do I safely convert c:/ to a dynamic disk?

3) I have yet to get a successful backup from any of my three systems at home.  One gets to 1% then fails, another will not work at all.

4) The LaCie is a 5big Office, I have two drives mirrored for client computer backups (how do I point the client backups to this drive?) and two for mirroring the system and data (mentioned above I cannot get the mirroring setup).  There is a 5th drive for backing up the server system.  In Drive Manager, I am seeing 6 drives, 0 through 4 plus a drive labeled 'Missing'.  for the first 5 I can look at properties and id each drive by model number.  for the one labeled missing I cannot look at properties at all.  What the heck is the 6th drive?  how do I figure out what it is referring to?

If I can get help with any or all of these, maybe I can make this thing actually useful.

• Edited by boeinguy2 Monday, March 17, 2014 12:36 PM
    Monday, March 17, 2014 12:34 PM

Answers

• 1) Too late now, but you should be doing your Administration via the Dashboard which is designed to give you almost all the functionality you need. Not sure why you have shares on C: in the first place. A WHS2011 install should create a C: boot partition and then partition the rest of the disk as D: on which the shares are created. To move them from one partition to the other you use the Dashboard - what you did is not supported and prone to failure! Difficult to diagnose from here but I would try deleting the folders and recreating in the Dashboard. You need to work out why you have shares on C: - what size is the C: partition and what size disk is it on?

2) Once again C: should not have data - personally I do not like mirroring much sooner have a robust backup scheme.

3) Are these W8 machines with a UEFI installation - if so, you must have the "UEFI Hotfix" installed on your server or backups will fail.

support.microsoft.com/kb/2781272

4) As long as the drive has a letter, you move the location of the "Client Computer Backups" folder to your desired location using the Dashboard. Where are you seeing this phantom 6th drive?

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

• Marked as answer by boeinguy2 Sunday, March 23, 2014 5:22 PM
    Tuesday, March 18, 2014 5:44 PM
  • Phil, I think you are confusing the standard Server Folders which you should manage through the Dashboard with the standard Windows Documents/Music.Pictures/Videos folders which (a) are what the OP was using and (b) are indeed located on C: by default.

Having said that, those folders should _not_ be used boeinguy2! You need to start up the Dashboard -> Server Folders and Hards Drives -> Server Folders. Those are the folders you want to use for sharing files between your Server and your clients. Here you set permissions on shares, location of the folders etc. and you can create new folders as well.

With WHS2011, NO data should be on C: (and it is strongly preferred not to have data on the same physical harddrive where C: resides because a BMR of a Server Backup (and re-install as well I think) will simply wipe ALL data, not just C:).

What do you whish to accomplish by mirroring? Have a look at a tool called Stablebit DrivePool, it'll mirror (sortof RAID 1) for you but there are some caveats if you let it work on more than 2 drives. Other than that, I agree with Phil: I would not use mirroring and definately go the rather robust Server Backup way.

Good resources for tips and tricks are at forums.wegotserved.com and, for DrivePool, http://community.covecube.com/

Good luck!

Tuesday, March 18, 2014 8:30 PM
  • 1. Phil is right. If you are serious about protecting data, better practice is to do server backups to removable media (or a cloud service of some sort but I dislike that option) through e.g. an USB external drive bay, an internal HD docking station ($30 or so), use at least 2 HDDs, one for backup and the other to rotate with and store off-site.

2. How would you mirror your drive and would the mirror be updated continiously? Would you want it to be? There are ways to protect against single drive failure (other than the HD containing the OS) so as to guarantee uptime of all data in case of single drive failure. For WHS 2011, DrivePool is a popular solution. I advise you to have a look at it and believe it comes with a 30-day free trial. 20$ or so and, if you are serious about your data, get their Scanner product in one go for I think $30 in total (DP + Scanner).

Friday, March 21, 2014 5:10 PM
    1. I was under the impressions you were going to ditch the LaCie.
    2. That would leave you with a Server and clients.
    3. You would use the server to (a) backup clients to and (b) store data (most likely to be shared among some and/or all of your clients).
    4. WHS 2011 allows for the Server to be backed up itself as well. Here you would backup the system/OS and data. Restore will allow you to restore the entire system, including data, or selected files/folders. You would backup to one HDD.

My simple setup for instance is:

1. 1 1TB OS HDD (and this is far to large, 64GB SSD would have been a far better ID). Only 60GB is used and this is where WHS 2011 resides
    2. 2 x 2 TB HDDs for data (including client backups). These are combined into a 4TB virtual drive using DrivePool. DrivePool also ensures that each and every file is stored on both drives. Net capacity therefore remains 2TB.
    3. 2 x 2 TB HDDs for backup. All data under 1) and 2) are backed up using standard WHS functionality. One is in the Server, the other, indeed, with a friend. We change them once a week.

Given that you have many a drive in the LaCIE, I would expect you to have enough drives to do it all.

There is only one caveat: WHS 2011 can backup enormous clients but it can not backup the server in full if the data is in excess of 2TB and it can not backup a DrivePool virtual drive.

It can, however, backup one of the two drives that comprise the virtual drive and that is what I do. This works as each file is stored on each drive (in standard NTFS format. I could take out one of the two drives, put them in another PC and it would be able to access all files).

I am protected, therefore, against 1 of 2 data drives failing, as the system will continue to run when one fails (and warn you and quide you through the process of replacement). This is for continuity. I am also protected against OS failure (restore from backup of system) and system destruction through fire or theft: all is on a disk with a friend, at most I'd lose a week of work. Before this, I stored the backup-HDD away from the server. Not against fire but at least against theft.

IMO, you need to do a bit of planning. How much data do you have? Same for the clients.

• Marked as answer by boeinguy2 Sunday, March 23, 2014 5:21 PM
    Saturday, March 22, 2014 9:28 AM
  • The Hotfix files are indeed confusing - from what I recall I only used the latest dated file. You only need to install one of them. I store my Offsite backups in my Office at work.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

• Edited by Phil Harrison Saturday, March 22, 2014 12:19 PM
    • Marked as answer by Andy Qi Tuesday, March 25, 2014 5:45 PM
    Saturday, March 22, 2014 12:18 PM

All replies

• Does this have Windows Home Server or Windows Storage Server 2008 R2 - similar but if the latter, you might want to ask on a different forum?

Tuesday, March 18, 2014 2:58 AM
  • This is Windows Home Server 2011.  Sorry, I should have included that in the original post.
    Tuesday, March 18, 2014 12:06 PM
  • 1) Too late now, but you should be doing your Administration via the Dashboard which is designed to give you almost all the functionality you need. Not sure why you have shares on C: in the first place. A WHS2011 install should create a C: boot partition and then partition the rest of the disk as D: on which the shares are created. To move them from one partition to the other you use the Dashboard - what you did is not supported and prone to failure! Difficult to diagnose from here but I would try deleting the folders and recreating in the Dashboard. You need to work out why you have shares on C: - what size is the C: partition and what size disk is it on?

2) Once again C: should not have data - personally I do not like mirroring much sooner have a robust backup scheme.

3) Are these W8 machines with a UEFI installation - if so, you must have the "UEFI Hotfix" installed on your server or backups will fail.

support.microsoft.com/kb/2781272

4) As long as the drive has a letter, you move the location of the "Client Computer Backups" folder to your desired location using the Dashboard. Where are you seeing this phantom 6th drive?

Tuesday, March 18, 2014 5:44 PM
  • Phil, I think you are confusing the standard Server Folders which you should manage through the Dashboard with the standard Windows Documents/Music.Pictures/Videos folders which (a) are what the OP was using and (b) are indeed located on C: by default.

Having said that, those folders should _not_ be used boeinguy2! You need to start up the Dashboard -> Server Folders and Hards Drives -> Server Folders. Those are the folders you want to use for sharing files between your Server and your clients. Here you set permissions on shares, location of the folders etc. and you can create new folders as well.

With WHS2011, NO data should be on C: (and it is strongly preferred not to have data on the same physical harddrive where C: resides because a BMR of a Server Backup (and re-install as well I think) will simply wipe ALL data, not just C:).

What do you whish to accomplish by mirroring? Have a look at a tool called Stablebit DrivePool, it'll mirror (sortof RAID 1) for you but there are some caveats if you let it work on more than 2 drives. Other than that, I agree with Phil: I would not use mirroring and definately go the rather robust Server Backup way.

Good resources for tips and tricks are at forums.wegotserved.com and, for DrivePool, http://community.covecube.com/

Good luck!

Tuesday, March 18, 2014 8:30 PM
  • I am returning the main drive to the original configuration.  Have copied music etc to a separate drive.

More this evening.  Thanks Guys.

Wednesday, March 19, 2014 11:54 AM
  • Okay, in order to fix the folders issues, I just started from scratch by recovering Windows Home Server 2011.  Now the drives are partitioned correctly and the folders are in the right place.

Next: I am looking at mirroring as a way to protect against a drive crash, always insure that pictures and msic are available, even if a a drive crash occurs. Is that reasonable? It seems a reasonable way to keep an always up to date backup.

So I have setup the C: partition to be backed up to a 1Tb drive installed in the system.  Now I want to mirror the F: partition on the same drive to another 2Tb drive (E:).  If it is better I can setup a backup of F: to E:.  To mirror both drives have to be dynamic.  The drive with C: and F: is listed as basic.  How dangerous is the basic to dynamic conversion?  Am I safe to do the conversion?

Friday, March 21, 2014 12:27 PM
  • What you are proposing is nothing to do with Backup! It is all about availability of data in the event of a single failure of a HDD - what happens if you have a motherbioard failure, a fire or a flood? You would be much better off implementing an external backup using the inbuilt functionality of your Server to protect your important data that you can rotate offsite.

Friday, March 21, 2014 12:46 PM
  • 1. Phil is right. If you are serious about protecting data, better practice is to do server backups to removable media (or a cloud service of some sort but I dislike that option) through e.g. an USB external drive bay, an internal HD docking station ($30 or so), use at least 2 HDDs, one for backup and the other to rotate with and store off-site.

2. How would you mirror your drive and would the mirror be updated continiously? Would you want it to be? There are ways to protect against single drive failure (other than the HD containing the OS) so as to guarantee uptime of all data in case of single drive failure. For WHS 2011, DrivePool is a popular solution. I advise you to have a look at it and believe it comes with a 30-day free trial. 20$ or so and, if you are serious about your data, get their Scanner product in one go for I think $30 in total (DP + Scanner).

Friday, March 21, 2014 5:10 PM
  • OK, Everything is reset, my files are copied, I have no mirroring.

I am trying to do the hot fix, but am confused.  there are three files listed, I have downloaded them all.  Do I use all 3 or just one?  Two appear to have the same name, one is different.

The discussion of mirroring is confusing.  If I do not mirror, I have to do some form of backup. 

1. A system backup
    2. A backup to secure my music and pictures
    3. A backup of the client backups

So I need three external hard drives?  But that is why I bought this 5 drive LaCie device.  the drives are hot swappable, but now I have to have 8 drives.  That adds another $300 to this already expensive system.  Plus where the heck do I keep them 'offsite'?  at a neighbors house?  offsite storage may make sense for a business, but not for a home.  How frequently would I swap the drive for another and have to make the extra trip to an as yet undefined 'offsite' location.  The logistics do not make sense!

I do have a 30 minute fire safe I could keep a backup drive in, but does not help with the extra expense.

Not complaining, just do not understand.

Saturday, March 22, 2014 7:13 AM
    1. I was under the impressions you were going to ditch the LaCie.
    2. That would leave you with a Server and clients.
    3. You would use the server to (a) backup clients to and (b) store data (most likely to be shared among some and/or all of your clients).
    4. WHS 2011 allows for the Server to be backed up itself as well. Here you would backup the system/OS and data. Restore will allow you to restore the entire system, including data, or selected files/folders. You would backup to one HDD.

My simple setup for instance is:

1. 1 1TB OS HDD (and this is far to large, 64GB SSD would have been a far better ID). Only 60GB is used and this is where WHS 2011 resides
    2. 2 x 2 TB HDDs for data (including client backups). These are combined into a 4TB virtual drive using DrivePool. DrivePool also ensures that each and every file is stored on both drives. Net capacity therefore remains 2TB.
    3. 2 x 2 TB HDDs for backup. All data under 1) and 2) are backed up using standard WHS functionality. One is in the Server, the other, indeed, with a friend. We change them once a week.

Given that you have many a drive in the LaCIE, I would expect you to have enough drives to do it all.

There is only one caveat: WHS 2011 can backup enormous clients but it can not backup the server in full if the data is in excess of 2TB and it can not backup a DrivePool virtual drive.

It can, however, backup one of the two drives that comprise the virtual drive and that is what I do. This works as each file is stored on each drive (in standard NTFS format. I could take out one of the two drives, put them in another PC and it would be able to access all files).

I am protected, therefore, against 1 of 2 data drives failing, as the system will continue to run when one fails (and warn you and quide you through the process of replacement). This is for continuity. I am also protected against OS failure (restore from backup of system) and system destruction through fire or theft: all is on a disk with a friend, at most I'd lose a week of work. Before this, I stored the backup-HDD away from the server. Not against fire but at least against theft.

IMO, you need to do a bit of planning. How much data do you have? Same for the clients.

• Marked as answer by boeinguy2 Sunday, March 23, 2014 5:21 PM
    Saturday, March 22, 2014 9:28 AM
  • The Hotfix files are indeed confusing - from what I recall I only used the latest dated file. You only need to install one of them. I store my Offsite backups in my Office at work.

• Edited by Phil Harrison Saturday, March 22, 2014 12:19 PM
    • Marked as answer by Andy Qi Tuesday, March 25, 2014 5:45 PM
    Saturday, March 22, 2014 12:18 PM
  • Wow, these recommendations are really helpful!  It s clear I need a better plan. 

I have been very frustrated getting everything setup, hence my comments about dumping the LaCie Device.  IF I can get it setup correctly I will be happy.

So following the plan you laid out, What do you use for a system backup and how do you store it? 

The LaCie came with one 2Tb hard drive where the OS is stored, so I have a great deal of additional space on that drive.  I have added three additional 2Tb drives and an extra 1Tb I had at home.  Can I move the OS to the 1Tb drive?  That would have to include LaCies' extra System partition.  Would a Drive Copy App be sufficient?

Then I would have four 2Tb drives I could configure in the way you have recommended.  But would need to then understand what to backup the whole thing to.  If I used the Drive Pool arrangement then I would be backing up 60 to 70 Gb of OS from the 1 Tb drive.  In addition as Backups of the three clients in my house grow, I could have up to 2 TBs of Client Backups.  For Data, I have about 500 Gb currently loaded, and will add 200 to 300 Gb additional once all consolidation is complete.  Over Time I will continue to add photos and music so I would want to plan on backing up to 2TBs of data.

So my backup approach would need to handle approx. 4 TB of data.

What does DrivePool do that mirroring would not do?  I think I understand that mirroring is not the best backup approach, but it sounds like DrivePool essentially mirrors the two drives.

Finally Do you have an idea which UEFI Hotfix I should use?  The Microsoft information list three downloads without differentiating whether their are for different systems or what.  They also do not tell me whether I should install all three or pick one.  I suppose I could just try one and see if it tells me whether it was designed for my system or not.

So far I have solved 2 Problems of the 5 listed:

1) By reloading I now have the original Share folders available again for sharing the music and pictures and other files across the network.

2) I figured out a fix for the missing drive issue.  I deleted the supposed volume on that missing drive and the problem vanished.

Thanks again for all your help!

Saturday, March 22, 2014 4:02 PM
  • Oh my, here I was thinking the Lacie was a NAS or external enclosure. It's actually a full system with CPU etc. My bad.

Still, I'd use the 1 TB for OS, 2 x 2 TB for data, client backups etc, 2 x 2TB for server backups, one at a time.

I do not know how to install WHS 2011 to the 1 TB drive. I also am surprised it would run that as the Lacie apparantly comes with stoarge server 2008. Any road, I would think it can boot from an external DVD-drive?

DrivePool is not a backup. It is a way to protect against single drive failure in the sense that you need not go down on failure of one drive. The other thing it allows you to do is create huge virtual drives. You could, for instance, tell it to combine 3 4 TB HDDs and it would present itself as a 12 TB drive. That drive can also feature duplication by which DP guarantees that there are two vritual copies of each file and those copies would be on seperate HDDs. I do not use it that way (that is, combining more than 2 drives) because of the issues WHS 2011 Server Backup has with > 2 TB backups. I do not actually know what mirroring does, i.e., I've never looked into it (is it real-time or ad-hoc for instance? I could not say, really).

If you've got WHS 2011 running now, please open the Dashboard -> Computers and Backup -> select the server -> Set up backup for the Server. It is rather self-explanatory. Know that Server Backup does not distinghuis between OS/system/C: on the one hand and data on other drives. Nevertheless, when you need to restore, you can restore the enitre system or, if you need, indivudual files/folders/drives.

I assume you have client backups running already? Server backups should be a breeze then as well.

If you want to learn, may I suggest www.wegotserved.com and forum.wegotserved.com? There's a lot of research to be found there and I think they sell e-books that really are great (or so I am told by them ;-)) on how to go about with WHS 2011.

My setup may not be high-end or fancy. It is limited to 2 TB basically. If you plan on getting 1 TB on data on the Server and have client backups on top of that, you should be fine. Client backups are stored rather efficiently. Caveat is if you have clients that are large in size or numbers of course but I seem to remember there is some de-duplication in client backups as well.

Saturday, March 22, 2014 8:33 PM
  • Again thanks everyone!

I did get the hotfix installed, so now I am down to deciding how to allocate drives, get the client backups setup, and get an external system of backups setup. Then I can move the whole thing to a corner and call it a completed project.

As far as allocating drives, I have downloaded a copy of DrivePool to test.  I was asking about how to convert the drive with C: on it to a dynamic disk so that I could try to set up mirroring.  That is RAID 1 and essentially the same as the DrivePool function that pools drives and keeps one as a copy of the other.  DrivePool does not work with Dynamic disks so everything has to be Basic.

I tried to setup mirroring early on, carefully selecting 2TB drives with the exact same model number.  I got one pair to mirror (requires that both drives be dynamic). The other pair, including the original installed drive would not mirror all data.  It has a System partition, C: (for WHS2011), and F:(for data).  I could mirror the System and the C: but not F:.  I tried various incarnations but could not get the whole thing to mirror.  Then I added a 1TB drive to backup the System and C:, and was going to try to mirror just F: to the paired drive.  Lots of things fell apart and when I got back to it, that drive was no longer dynamic so I cannot mirror it at all.  Hence the question about converting the main drive back to Dynamic and whether there were any risks.

DrivePool has an advantage in that it does not require the matched drives to create the 'mirroring'.  So I am wondering if I should just leave things the way they are in terms of the main drive, continue to backup system and C: to the 1TB drive.  Then use Drive Pool to 'mirror' f: to another drive for data, music, and Pictures.  Then the final two drives would be 'mirrored' by Drive Pool for client backups.  As I have learned here, that will protect against drive failure, bu I have to get an 'offsite' system of backups setup to really protect the data.  System Backups can be setup to be all data or just certain data, so I have it setup for just the System and the C: partitions.

As far as WeGotServed, I tried to register.  The link in the confirmation email they sent did not work, went to a page that said 'We can not find that page'.  So I tried to contact them, the only contact info being the Sales department.  I have not heard back from them in over two weeks.  Not much help.  I can read but cannot post questions.

Sunday, March 23, 2014 3:26 PM
  • Again, I don;t think you want any data on any partition that is on the same physical drive as the OS. Can you re-install WHS on the smaller 1TB drive (or an even smaller if you have one available) and restart from that? There is no reason to backup the OS on the one hand and any data (including client backups) seperately.
    Sunday, March 23, 2014 8:46 PM
  • There is no problem having data on the same HDD (say D:) as the OS Partition (C:). The method of restoring in the event of a HDD failure is to reinstall the OS from a Server backup and then restore the data from the backup.

Sunday, March 23, 2014 10:58 PM
  • But if you only want to restore the OS, say because an update went wrong, then you would need to restore D as well and afterwards IIRC.
    Monday, March 24, 2014 6:30 AM
  • So I decided how to arrange the drives and completed with Drive Pool.

I have setup two clients so far, the first is backing up right now.  The second is queued .

The third is a problem.  It installed but apparently not correctly or something.  the server sees it, but its icon is grayed out.  When I try to login using the Launchpad is says that the server is offline.  Funny thing is that the other two clients are fine and say the server is accessible.

Any ideas?

Tuesday, March 25, 2014 1:36 AM
  • What OS is the client? Any strange msgs during installation of connector? Can you, from the client, connect using http://yourservername/connect? Is the client currently connected to a/the network?

It's not a solution but sometimes de- and reinstalling of the client helps.

Tuesday, March 25, 2014 7:17 AM
  • OS is Windows 8.1 on all three clients.

Problem started with the infamous message that the install could not be completed since an installation was still in progress (not true).  I disable a substantial number of items at startup, restarted the client, then restarted the install and it worked, but it took an inordinate amount of time (nearly an hour).  The other two clients are less powerful machines and took about 15 minutes.

No error messages occurred during the install.

Once installed I checked on another machine and the server dashboard recognized the new client but declared it offline with icon greyed out.  So I went to the suspect client and started the Launcher, logging in was the first step, and it failed because the server was not detected.

While the other two clients would not backup when I first installed the connect software, since I had not installed the necessary hotfix for Windows 8, this system has had trouble from the start.  The first time I installed the software, I was able to login to the server once, then never again.  Uninstall and reinstall  has been done 4 or 5 times.  Also reloaded the server several times while making mistakes and working out problems.

I am on the network, in fact the server and the client are on the same end of a wireless network bridge (hardwired to the same wireless router).  I have Internet access from both the client and the server.  What is interesting is that in Windows Explorer, I can access the server in the network list and after logging on I have access to the shared files.

Just cannot make the Connect software work.

• Edited by boeinguy2 Tuesday, March 25, 2014 6:07 PM
    Tuesday, March 25, 2014 6:03 PM
  • OK, that issue is above my paygrade. Other than uninstall and reinstall I have no suggestions. Given that you have access to the shares it seems the network part is fine so I guess there is some issue with the two machines talking to each other.

I would recommend to try to get the connector software on that client downloaded through http://yourservername/connect instead of downloading the connector software to an USB or remote storage and running on another PC. No real reason but I've had issues with that scenario while DLing the connector software directly did not give me the same problems.

The "installation still in progress issue"  is well known with WHS 2011 clients and there is a registry fix for that. Something with filerenameoperationpending or sounds like at least. Have used it once and fixed the issue in that case. If that remains a problem I could look it up for you but I'm sure you can as well. Funny that you managed to get passed it without the registry fix, never heard of that before and I wonder whether that might actually be a source of your current issue. But then, I am really merely speculation now.

Tuesday, March 25, 2014 9:17 PM
  • I need to add one correction: I have stated in this thread that WHS 2011 can not do a Server Backup with more than 2TB of data. This is in fact wrong, it can. It can not back up a volume that is larger than 2TB. It can and will 2x2TB volumes on, e.g. 4 4TB drive (or a 3TB drive if the amount of actual data combined is less than 3TB etc).
    Saturday, March 29, 2014 12:39 PM
  • I need to add one correction: I have stated in this thread that WHS 2011 can not do a Server Backup with more than 2TB of data. This is in fact wrong, it can. It can not back up a volume that is larger than 2TB. It can and will 2x2TB volumes on, e.g. 4 4TB drive (or a 3TB drive if the amount of actual data combined is less than 3TB etc).

That is not true if you are using the native Server Backup functionality of WHS2011. The 2TB limit comes from the .vhd technology used.

Saturday, March 29, 2014 2:36 PM
  • That is incorrect. WHS 2011 Server Backup does use .vhd and .vhd is limited to 2TB. However, each drive gets its own .vhd, not the total backup.

JUst tested it myself and had a whole 2.8TB written to my 4TB backup drive (from 4 HDDs / 5 partitions(volumes).

Saturday, March 29, 2014 4:51 PM
  • Then you have discovered something that the WHS 2011 Community has seen as a limitation since Day 1! Did you set up the Server Backup using the Dashboard (the way WHS2011 is designed to be used) or are you using the underlying Server 2008 R2 infrastructure, which is not core WHS2011 functionality?

http://gcoupe.wordpress.com/2011/03/05/i-dont-believe-it-2/

Microsoft says:

"Windows Server Backup uses the .vhd format for writing backups. The current virtual hard disk specification limits the size of a virtual hard disk to be 2040 GB, which can fit a volume of size 2040 GB – 2 MB, (i.e., 2088958 MB). Windows Server Backup in Windows Server 2008 also limits the maximum source volume size to be 2088958 MB. In Windows Server 2008 R2, if you are not backing up a full volume and, instead, creating a backup of selected files/folders, your source volume size can be more than 2088958 MB, provided your actual data size is less than equal to 2088958 MB. If you are creating a full volume backup, the maximum source volume size limit continues to be 2088958 MB."

Saturday, March 29, 2014 5:11 PM
  • Ha! I love that piece by Geoff and I am having a sort of debate with him on this as we speak:

http://forum.wegotserved.com/index.php/topic/29473-3tb-drive-strategy/

But I did not think this up myself, I just wanted to test & confirm what was said here:

http://forum.wegotserved.com/index.php/topic/28051-clarification-of-the-2tb-limit/

And if we read carefully, MS has said this all the time: vhd fits 2TB max. Max source volume size is 2TB. But a single Server Backup != a single vhd file or a single volume.

Edit: Yes, all using standard WHS2011 functionality, i.e., through the Dashboard and nothing else.
    • Edited by Umfriend Saturday, March 29, 2014 7:11 PM
    Saturday, March 29, 2014 5:43 PM