SBSCORE error in event log - Possible fix/workaround to shutdown after x hours. testers needed RRS feed

• Question

• So on all my WHS server installs lately I’ve been having the same issue. After a few hours the system shuts down after logging: EventID: 1013

This computer must be configured as a domain controller. To prevent this computer from shutting down in the future, run Setup on the disk that you used to install the operating system to configure the computer as a domain controller.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

My first encounter with this was understandable; i joined it to a domain. So after re-installing I did not do this. The issue persisted, even on a clean install. Others have posted about it, but I’ve seen no resolution.

Here's my theory. On all my installs I’ve changed both the system name and the workgroup via right click My Computer > Properties > Computer Name. I think somehow this is triggering that SBS EULA check for domain controller status.

I need someone with a disposable stable install to test and see if changing computer name or workgroup will trigger this. Preferably one at a time so it can be isolated. I'm installing now again to test it, but would like some validation.

Thanks, and hopefully we can get to the bottom of this. It’s really killing me not to be able to run WHS for more than a few hours at a time.

Friday, March 9, 2007 7:26 PM

Answers

• I'm sorry to say that that's how I changed the machine/workgroup name on my WHS, and it's been running stably for over two weeks. So I don't think that's it.
    Friday, March 9, 2007 8:30 PM

All replies

• I'm sorry to say that that's how I changed the machine/workgroup name on my WHS, and it's been running stably for over two weeks. So I don't think that's it.
    Friday, March 9, 2007 8:30 PM
  • well hmmm.

yes i am running a domain in all locations that whs is installed. and the workgroup of whs was changed to the same as the domain name. Maybe thats it.

• Proposed as answer by xhanex Friday, March 12, 2010 3:03 AM
    Friday, March 9, 2007 8:34 PM