Remote Access problems RRS feed

• Question

• I installed Windows 7 Home server and have problems. I have a linksys router setup as described - I contacted the ISP and they claim the ports are not blocked. I have no idea where to go from here.

When I try to do the domain thing it say "Windows live ID server not available"

I have a Linksys WRT54G Router and an Embarq 660 modem.

When I did the port tests as suggested in another thread - they all came up as Stealth.

After reading many threads here - this appears to be a VERY common problem.

This is like switching to Windows 98 back in the day when we had to fix one issue after another that todays OS blaze right thru and its a non issue.

Tuesday, July 27, 2010 4:47 PM

All replies

• Is your modem set to bridge mode? Otherwise, you're in a double-NAT situation and your port forwarding will not work.

Set your modem to bridge mode and use your router to establish your PPPoE connection and set your port forwarding.

Tuesday, July 27, 2010 10:29 PM
  • Well - I called our ISP and they walked me thru bridgeing the modem - then I lost all internet on all the office computers  - 3 hours on the phone with a tech and now my netwroking and internet were down with the modem not even working anymore.

They sent a tech out this morning who applogized for the problem and when I exoplained the steps she had me take he just shook his head and said that was not good information that she gave me - he had to install a new modem to get me back up and running.

Now I have a 660 wireless modem/router and still have all the same problems.

He mentioned that he had seen this many times and that one company only got it to work by going to a static IP on all computers and the server.

Now since I had a unix server here about a year ago on the same hardware and software and it did communicate just fine thru the internet with no static IP - this just reaffirms my opinion of Microsoft.

I would gladly pay for someone to stop in and walk me thru the setup but it seems there is very little support for this after you spend your money.

Thursday, July 29, 2010 4:26 PM
  • Well - I called our ISP and they walked me thru bridgeing the modem - then I lost all internet on all the office computers  - 3 hours on the phone with a tech and now my netwroking and internet were down with the modem not even working anymore.

They sent a tech out this morning who applogized for the problem and when I exoplained the steps she had me take he just shook his head and said that was not good information that she gave me - he had to install a new modem to get me back up and running.

Now I have a 660 wireless modem/router and still have all the same problems.

He mentioned that he had seen this many times and that one company only got it to work by going to a static IP on all computers and the server.

Now since I had a unix server here about a year ago on the same hardware and software and it did communicate just fine thru the internet with no static IP - this just reaffirms my opinion of Microsoft.

I would gladly pay for someone to stop in and walk me thru the setup but it seems there is very little support for this after you spend your money.

WHS is OEM only.  By definition, you are your own support for OEM licenses.  (If you want/need support, you should purchase a pre-built system from HP, Acer, etc.)

As for what to try next, my suggestion is remove the Linksys router completely (since the 660 is also a router, you don't need the Linksys one), configure the port forwarding in the 660, and see if that works.

Friday, July 30, 2010 5:12 AM