crm reporting guidelines? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello - I've been tasked with the assignment of creating a custom report in CRM.

I assume that MS recommends using FetchXML as the basis for reporting and recommends against writing T/SQL reports that directly query the database.  

Is this the case or am I making a false assumption here?

Wednesday, February 20, 2013 1:21 AM

Answers

• Hi,

It is not a false statement as long as you are able to retrieve the data you need using FetchXML. Remember there are some limitations of fetchXML if you hit them then you can use T/SQL. T/SQL Query will not work for CRM Online though. So make your choice based on what you need to achieve.

Hope this helps.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------

Minal Dahiya
    If this post answers your question, please click "Mark As Answer" on the post and "Vote as Helpful"

Wednesday, February 20, 2013 1:58 AM
  • As Minal mentioned there is no restriction or fault on using report types. I always use Fetch XML for reporting, but sometimes Fetch could not give me the requested results in CRM. One of them is "Not in" views or reports. For example, your want to create a report for quotes which do not have an order. Obviously Fetch could not do this. In these situations you have to use SSRS reports. Hence, use Fetch for all reports, only for exceptions which could not be supported bu Fetch, use SSRS.

If the answer helped you, remember to mark it as answer.

Wednesday, February 20, 2013 5:07 AM

All replies

• Hi,

It is not a false statement as long as you are able to retrieve the data you need using FetchXML. Remember there are some limitations of fetchXML if you hit them then you can use T/SQL. T/SQL Query will not work for CRM Online though. So make your choice based on what you need to achieve.

Hope this helps.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------

Minal Dahiya
    If this post answers your question, please click "Mark As Answer" on the post and "Vote as Helpful"

Wednesday, February 20, 2013 1:58 AM
  • As Minal mentioned there is no restriction or fault on using report types. I always use Fetch XML for reporting, but sometimes Fetch could not give me the requested results in CRM. One of them is "Not in" views or reports. For example, your want to create a report for quotes which do not have an order. Obviously Fetch could not do this. In these situations you have to use SSRS reports. Hence, use Fetch for all reports, only for exceptions which could not be supported bu Fetch, use SSRS.

If the answer helped you, remember to mark it as answer.

Wednesday, February 20, 2013 5:07 AM